Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help please :D cant set password on router ..  (Read 2332 times)

o HLDN2K o

need help please :D cant set password on router ..
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
hi  :) I'm a total noob ! :) and recently got virgin broadband and got the standard netgear router with it .. problem is when i use the 'wireless manager' it wont connect to my router so i cant name the network or set a password for i ..i can manually connect to my router and it says unsecured network so everyone in the whole street is probably connecting .. i rang virgin up (£1 a minute) ! and couldn't get a proper answer and eventually gave up .. any one help .?

wyatt

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: need help please :D cant set password on router ..
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »
Hello and Welcome!  ;D

I'm going to try my best to get you started. Please let me know if I'm giving you too much or too little. I hope we can help get you setup and going.

How can Virgin charge to help?  ???

Can you please let us know the NetGear's model #? What is your operating system (Win XP/Vista/7)?

For most routers, its best to use the web configuration interface of the box for making changes.
You should do the initial configuration of the router via a wired connection. Some of the newer routers have setup software that tries to perform a wireless configuration but I'm not familiar with it, and the web interface is usually a lot easier to configure through and get help with.

We start by taking a computer and plugging it into the router and getting a IP assignment from it. We need to determine what your router's IP assignments are.

This is very general as I have little to go on - This will most likely differ.

Determine IP Info

Determine your IP assignment by start > (All) programs > Accessories > Command Prompt or Start -> (Run) -> cmd.exe
In the black window, type the command ipconfig /all
Try to locate your current IP address from the router (ex: 192.168.1.2, 192.168.0.100)
Under that your will see a gateway IP address (ex: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Access Router's Web Interface

Knowing your IP info, go to the web browser and type in the address http://192.168.1.1 where 192.168.1.1 is the Gateway IP found during the procedure above

You should be prompted for a user account.  This should be provided in your documentation. An old thread found on google showed these username/password combos: root/root admin/password virgin/password

Setup Wireless Radio Config

Somewhere in your router's configuration panels, there should be a basic wireless page. You need to find what your SSID is. You will want to change this to your name for the network (ex: MyHome).

The channel should be set to auto. Depending on your neighborhood, you may want to try different setting to find a radio band that is clean. This is the radio frequency that will be used for your network.

There should be a SSID Broadcast that you'll want to enable right now. This will basically announce your radio on the radio. Security being extremely strict, you'd shut this off and have manual SSID setups (lets not do this right now).

Test Wireless

Now you'll want to test your connection. Your laptop should now see your custom SSID. Now you can tell what network to connect to. Make sure the Internet works.

Let us know if you have issues connecting to the unsecured network.

Wireless Security

We've left this network Unsecure because we want to ensure that everything works. Now that we've ensured that the network is functional, we'll want to secure it down. In the router's configuration there should be a Basic Wireless Security page.

I need to know your OS to get this correct. Until then you can use WEP (128bit)  to provide some security and get your neighbors off your connection. This will use a long HEX string that can be entered into the computers to gain network access. WEP will need to be changed if possible as it can be compromised by talented hackers.

WPA2 is where you'll want to get. Lets get you connected before we go that far.

Please let me know.

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: need help please :D cant set password on router ..
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
    If it was from Virgin it's probably a Netgear DG834GT v3 or 4.

At least that's what I got a while ago.

From memory it defaults to 192.168.0.1 and enables DHCP, so if you connect to the router using an ethernet cable (usually yellow in the box with the router) and open a web browser to http://192.168.0.1.

If the defaults are the same as mine were the user name should be Virgin, and the password is password, I think (it should be on the label on the bottom of the router anyway).

The settings you're looking to change should be under something like Wireless Settings in the left hand pane.

If you've got any more questions, let us know.