Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need a modem.  (Read 4710 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I need a modem.
    « on: December 13, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
    Hello. I am new here to this site.

My question is in regards to the modem. I did a search first but didn't find info I was looking for.

I just acquired a hand me down computer with WindowsXP. The problem I am having is that I need to replace the modem and don't have any idea how to identify what is in the computer now. I searched the web for anything that may help, but there is no FCC ID number to reference and anything else printed that is of use. No manufacturer or model numbers. Also the computer doesn't see that it is installed. So I am assuming the modem is bad.

There is a serial number however.

The card installs with the components facing down. There are also 2 pin sections on the card that fit into the socket on the motherboard. One long section with 49 contacts and one short section with 11 contacts.

Can anyone help me out here? I was thinking about going with one I can pic up from ebay and could use the info to guide me.

If you need to know anything else please ask.

Thanks
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I need a modem.
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »
    Check Device Manager. But it really doesn't matter - a modem is a modem.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
      Allen...

Already did that. Computer doesn't indicate that modem is there, however, there is one installed, so I am assuming it is bad. Computer doesn't give me any info on what modem is installed.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
      Doesn't matter. I assume you're on dial-up. Just decide whether or not you want fax capability and order 56K modem.

Here's a start: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=563&name=Internal

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:19:55 PM »
        69Z28, A good start to enable you to find out what your computer is made of would be to download and run the free copy of "everest" and you will then know what exactly you have in the unit.truenorth
        http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »
        If it's not in device manager it won't show in Everest. And it doesn't matter - all he has to do is buy a modem.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »
          True but given it appeared he did not know what the recently acquired computer had in it i figured this would not only assist with his modem issue but give him the knowledge to more explicitly deal with future issues (which undoubtedly there will be).truenorth
          P.S. If it turns out that a modem is indeed needed i recommend an internal US Robotics PCI 56k modem. Presuming we are talking dial up.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »
          ... but there is no FCC ID number to reference and anything else printed that is of use. No manufacturer or model numbers. ...
          Try reading what's printed on the chips or any other silkscreened info on the card.  Sometimes the card manufacturer just uses a symbol or logo.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
            Allan...

Just out of curiosity, can I just get any kind of dial up modem? I have noticed that there are differences where the modem plugs into the motherboard socket. The modem I have has one split in it, as in one long part and one short part to plug in. Other modems I have seen have 2 splits with a long section between 2 short sections.
            I also noticed that there are some modems with space/s between the contacts as well. Mine has a full set of contacts on both sides.

So is a moden just a modem? Or is there more than one socket on the motherboard that a modem will fit? In which case at modem is just a modem.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:12 AM »
            Doesn't matter - it's almost certainly a pci slot. You can read more here if you like: http://www.computerhope.com/btips/modem.htm

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
              Allan...

I read the info you posted for me. Thanks. However, I still am not convinced that I can just pick any modem and plug it in. Where the modem contacts are, I have noticed in looking to purchase one, that there are 2 obvious contact configurations. I really don't think that these different contact points will plug into the same socket. The modem I took out has a 2 section contact area, a long section with 49 contacts, then a slot and then a short section with 11 contacts.

Other modems I looked at have a 3 section contact area. I can't see how 2 different contact surfaces can be plugged into the same socket.

Unless I am missing something....

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
              There are also external modems that plug into a serial port...
              Just another option.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »
                69Z28, To allow you to move on i wonder if you can post a picture of the modem you have removed? If that is not possible take the one you have removed to your local computer retail outlet and ask them to "define" it for you. If indeed it is a PCI card (which is most likely) then i reiterate the earlier suggestion i made. Your hardest problem once you are certain of what you have may be finding a 56k modem ( not used or carried much anymore--unless the on line option is part of your choice). One other suggestion not yet made is to try your current modem in another card slot (if available). Sometimes that can resolve the issue of a card not functioning.truenorth
                P.S. There will be generic modem drivers included with your windows O/S which should suffice to get you going if the card works until you can go on line and download the proper Mfgr,'s drivers. If you haven't done the "Everest" scan yet (regardless of the modem problem) you should do so for the reason i advanced earlier.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
                  Truenorth...

I'll try to get a picture of what I have and and what the other modem I see alot of. I'm downloading Everest now, however, I do have something loaded that tells me everything that is in the computer in question. With the dead modem installed the return info provided indicates that there is NO modem installed.

OK. The top pic is what I have in the computer. So it is safe to say I need one like this one.
                  The bottom pic is another modem I see a lot more of than the one I have. I don't really think I could buy just any modem and expect it to fit the slots in the computer I have. Allan wasn't giving me enough to go on other than just buy a modem.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]
                  « Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:10:18 PM by 69Z28 »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
                    Truenorth...

I installed the modem in another slot and computer indicated that it found new hardware. Other than that no activity from the modem. The device drivers section just has a big yellow question mark. I downloaded the drivers for the modem on-line and unzipped them, with no activity there also. Do the drivers go into some specific file when unzipped, or do I need to do something else from there?

To add to this post...

I installed the Everest program and found what modem I have, Ambient Creatix V.90 HaM Data/Fax/Voice Modem.
                    « Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:43:26 PM by 69Z28 »

Allan

• Mastermind
                    « Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:04 AM »
                    Stop trying to make this more difficult than it is. Just order a pci modem. It will fit.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 08:30:01 AM »
                      69Z28, While "Allan" has made a suggestion that will most likely get you up and running (maybe even quicker) it occurs to me that you are learning a great deal from this thread. It is also obvious that the absence of a working modem on the computer where it is  causing the difficulties is NOT impeding your access to the internet (via an alternative computer i assume). So now that your modem is being recognized in both Everest and device manager it is highly probable that you do have a serviceable modem (not 100% guarantied but most probable). A 56k U.S. Robotics PCI will set you back under $20.00 so it now becomes a question as to whether you want to continue with trying to get the one you have working or go the replacement route.If you want to try and get the correct driver go again to device manager and go to "update driver". You can direct the search to a location on your HDD if you know where you stored the driver that you downloaded. Or select the option to search the web for it.Your picture definitely defines your modem as a PCI modem. I strongly suspect that your modem issue is going to be a software issue rather than the hardware. truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
                        Allan and Truenorth...

I want to thank you both for the great info and the learning experience. As Truenorth said I have learned a great deal from this thread.

"I'm not worthy".

Yes I am no stranger to computers. I have 2 desk tops and a laptop I play with. My son gave me the one in question I am working on now. I was having OS software issues as well as the modem issue.

I was told and also read that OEM OS's could not be loaded to a non OEM computer. I tried it and I don't know how, but I installed my Dell inspiron 530 OEM WindowsXP OS on this plain jane computer and everything is working fine.

As for the modem, last night I went to a friends to check out his computer. I noticed that the modem was different to the one I have. It has the 3 contact sections. So he let me borrow it today. Let me say this, I went into this experience thinking that I was trying to screw a brick into light bulb socket...it just didn't compute. Funny huh?

Anyway, I found out that ALL i needed was to get a modem, thanks Allan. I pluged in my friends modem and it worked.

I'm trying to learn about  computers the hard way. I hope I can count on your help as well as others in the future. I have loads of questions.

Thanks again
                        Gary

Allan

• Mastermind
                        « Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
                        I was told and also read that OEM OS's could not be loaded to a non OEM computer. I tried it and I don't know how, but I installed my Dell inspiron 530 OEM WindowsXP OS on this plain jane computer and everything is working fine.

Thanks again
                        Gary
                        That's not legal so you really don't want to be spreading it around.

And you're welcome ;)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
                        That's not legal so you really don't want to be spreading it around.

In many countries, certainly mine (The United Kingdom) restrictive parts of EULAs (including Microsofts) can be, and have been, struck down by the courts, and do not form any part of the law. Our courts have a dislike of "shrink-wrap" EULAs. If I have a validly obtained install disk, and I install the OS on the allowed number of computers, and no more, I have done nothing "illegal". And even if I do breach a valid part of the agreement, I have committed a civil offence, not a criminal one. If I copied the disk 1000 times and sold it at garage sales, then I'd be a criminal.

No DMCA here, thank God!

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
                          Oh well. I don't have a problem with that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          • Certifications: List
                          • Computer: Specs
                          • Experience: Beginner
                          « Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
                          For reference, the "contact configurations" are meaningless. it just means that the modem/network card/sound card whatever doesn't need that particular connection; most of them are various data and voltage lines. For example, if a card doesn't use 3.3v inputs, why would they need a contact for it, right?

In fact, Allan was only covering his but by saying "almost certainly". I cannot think of ANY other interface that would be used for modem, except for ISA, which was phased out over 10 years ago.

Basically, nowadays, if you buy a new computer, you have either PCI, PCI-Express, or more often then not a combination of both. the differences between them are not hard to spot- a PCI card simply doesn't fit in a PCI-E slot, being that teh slot itself is just over an inch wide for PCI Express x1  (and the connection for the video card has been ubiquitously unique for over 10 years as well; it's either AGP or PCI-E 16x, and if it's neither, then it's on-board.

EULA stuff regarding OEM (well... sort of): http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561

BTW, it's perfectly legal to install windows using a "recovery disk" from another Computer. As long as that computer does not have windows installed. Basically, the same EULA license terms apply to the copies of windows that come pre-installed on machines as with those that you buy at retail. The reason people get confused is because the manufacturer's provide a branded recovery disk, instead of the actual windows CD. the customer is still a legal owner of a copy of windows, but they don't have the actual installation media

There is no separate Retail and OEM license. There are differences between the way the two work, but this is simply because of the crap that the manufacturers do to jump through MS hoops- like, for example, tying the recovery CD to a specific BIOS. This does NOT change the rights of the owner as given out in the EULA, which includes the ability to transfer the windows license to another PC.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
                            Bc_Programmer...

Thanks for the reply to my post. I wasn't very worried about the OEM stuff. I bought it, it is mine. I should be able to do as I please with it.

As for the modem stuff, we are conditioned to believe things from what we learn in life. I saw a modem card that had a 2 section contact, so I thought that is what I needed when I saw the slot on the motherboard that had 2 sections, one long and one short. We learn something new every day.