Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP on packard bell wont load, cannot seem to get xp disk to work  (Read 3113 times)

bliceheart

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

XP on packard bell wont load, cannot seem to get xp disk to work
    « on: December 14, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »
    hii resently got apackard bell lap top only i figure the hard drive on it is failing, htough it still is detectedat b ios, the windows xp loading screen will comeup but thats as far as it gets before it blue screens,Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config , 
    but is there a way to get it wokring again without getting a new hard drive? i attemted to reinstall via XP instalation disk but it will not register, and also while the disk is in i cannot acsess the bios, i have got it set to boot from the disk first but it allways times out and then trys to boot from hardrive,

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: XP on packard bell wont load, cannot seem to get xp disk to work
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
    That's not the entire message. But assuming it's the system hive do the following:

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: XP on packard bell wont load, cannot seem to get xp disk to work
    « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
    By the way, this is a duplicate post.  See http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,96628