Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD added  (Read 3069 times)

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
    HDD added
    « on: December 14, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
    Hi, I have taken the HDD from our old "dead" PC, both are on XP home.
    It seems to be working okay, I can see the contents etc.

The old computer had many games on it...will these be able to be played on the new PC as if they were still in the old PC.

When I look in My computer - I can see the  two folders that were there before

One named Shared documents..........one named Brian's documents

Under here is - hard disk drives

local disk (c:) - this is in fact the "new" slave HDD (40gb with 25gb used)

and

local disk (I:) - this is the existing HDD drive        (160gb with 27gb used)

Will I be able to work within the slave HDD as if it was the "only" drive when I want to?

Under here is

devices with removable storage

removeable disk (d:)  -  no longer connected
    removeable disk (E:)  -  no longer connected
    removeable disk (F:)  -  no longer connected
    removeable disk (J:)  -  no longer connected

As I do not need to use these any more - should I delete the icons  -  if I do - where from -- what will be the effect of doing so?

When I click on (C:) (the slave HDD)    I can see folders

05c20c485e.............
    b02bb490.................
    bb4de077..................
    config.Msi
    d22130f9b.................
    ddad134cff...............
    Delux
    MPS
    Windows
    file SNPT 513-media

I may wish to put this HDD back in the old PC at some stage......if I drag and drop the above folders into a (keeping them from view folder...so as they are not easily accessed by users....will they still work when put back into the old PC)

There is obviously the program files folder....is there a way to access these programs in the new PC.

Cheers

Steve

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HDD added
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
    ...Under here is - hard disk drives
    local disk (c:) - this is in fact the "new" slave HDD (40gb with 25gb used)
    and
    local disk (I:) - this is the existing HDD drive        (160gb with 27gb used)
    From what you have stated, it appears that it booted from the "new" slave HDD.  You need to determine exactly which hard drive this computer has booted from before you move or delete anything.  Why would you want to "dual boot", when both are WinXP?  Change boot order in the BIOS to boot from the 160.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
    And the games will either run or not run...you cannot expect them to though...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »
      From what you have stated, it appears that it booted from the "new" slave HDD.  You need to determine exactly which hard drive this computer has booted from before you move or delete anything.  Why would you want to "dual boot", when both are WinXP?  Change boot order in the BIOS to boot from the 160.

I pulled the jumper from the "old" HDD (no jumpers) and it is at the end of the ribbon cable, how can it boot from the slave...please explain.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
      1.  I pulled the jumper from the "old" HDD (no jumpers)
      2.  it is at the end of the ribbon cable
      3.  how can it boot from the slave...
      1.  Why?  WD no jumper is Master, no Slave present.  Seagate no jumper is Slave.
      2.  If no jumper is Cable Select and cable is 80-conductor, it will be the Master.
      3.  Change boot order in BIOS.

Master doesn't have to be the boot drive.  Slaves can boot, too.  Change boot order.

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »
        1.  Why?  WD no jumper is Master, no Slave present.  Seagate no jumper is Slave.
        2.  If no jumper is Cable Select and cable is 80-conductor, it will be the Master.

Master doesn't have to be the boot drive.  Slaves can boot, too.  Change boot order.

The old HDD is a maxtor 6E040L0 and is listed in the boot menu as 1st slave.

:-

>HDD Group
          - 1st master:    HDS722616VLAT80
          - 1st Slave:       Maxtor 6E040L0

Does this mean it is booting from the 1st master.

ANOTHER problem...I think the antivirus is seeing the .exe files in the "old" now slave (C:) drive as viruses...is this common....the PC is not on the internet as yet, so I have disabled scanning for now.

Cheers

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »

OH!! forgot....I pulled the jumper 'cause it said on the back...no jumpers = slave

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
          The old HDD is a maxtor 6E040L0 and is listed in the boot menu as 1st slave.

>HDD Group
            - 1st master:    HDS722616VLAT80
            - 1st Slave:       Maxtor 6E040L0

1.  Does this mean it is booting from the 1st master.
          2.  ANOTHER problem...I think the antivirus is seeing the .exe files in the "old" now slave (C:) drive as viruses...is this common
          3.  I pulled the jumper 'cause it said on the back...no jumpers = slave...
          1.  It's usually on the Boot menu page and the top one would be the 1st one.  I don't understand why boot drive is not C-Drive and your 1st post indicated it was booting from the Maxtor.
          2.  It shouldn't, no, not common.
          3.  Disconnect Maxtor and relabel drive under properties, so you can figure out which drive is which when both are connected.

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
            1.  It's usually on the Boot menu page and the top one would be the 1st one.  I don't understand why boot drive is not C-Drive and your 1st post indicated it was booting from the Maxtor.

>>WEll...when I first booted up after fitting the slave...yes the (C:) was on the left hand side of the screen the (I:) on the right. I could see that what was labeled (C:) was the maxtor from the old PC from the files it contained.

>>from the boot menu listing...does it mean that the maxtor is the slave and not being booted from????

>>with the maxtor disconnected...the PC av is now flashing up warning about .exe on the existing (I:) HHD what could be the reason for this starting??
            3.  Disconnect Maxtor and relabel drive under properties, so you can figure out which drive is which when both are connected.

>> I could tell which was which by the contents... (C:) was maxtor....(I:) original

Many thanks

It's 3am so going to beddy by's

moonrakermagpie

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »
              [quote
              [/quote]

I have looked in the bios as well:-

First channel device 0   (HDS722516VLAT80)
              First channel device 1   (MAXTOR  6E040L0)

Second ~ Disc Drives

Have been running AV scans today....I am pretty sure that the AV is not including the "slave" in to scan.

Do I need to fit the jumper in the slave, bearing in mind:-

First channel device 0   (HDS722516VLAT80)
              First channel device 1   (MAXTOR  6E040L0)

Many thanks