Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win7- Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine problem  (Read 13347 times)

jmarple

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have been running Win7-64 bit without issues from right after it was fully released on a new ASUS MB. yesterday, it crashed and wouldn't boot.  It goes OK up until the point where i suspect some drivers may be loading and one of them is killing win 7.  I booted from the DVD and got it into the screen where you have 6-7 different options to repair. I tried the system restore using sequentially older restore points, andn one of them worked, same symptoms.  I was able to review the log and got to the section where it listed "Bugcheck analysis". It said root cause found- recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing system from starting. I am using an ATI Radeon HD4670 card.
    I tried running sfc/scannow and it returns a message that says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again?  I reboot and run through the process, but never got past the ...system repair pending message?
    I think all of the data is intact on the drive as I can use the command prompt window and find things on the drive.
    Any steps I should go through to determine if this is a driver issue or something else?

Thanks!

James

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    What new programs and/or hardware did you install prior to this ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jmarple

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have not installed any new programs or hardware. Windows update runs on a routine basis though.  I did finally manage to catch the BSoD error. It said "Video driver failed to initialize"... blah blah...if this is the first time....

DO you know if it is possible to delete and reinstall the proper ATI drivers from the dos prompt from the CMD line from the Win 7 recovery screen?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      To do it from a command prompt from the Recovery Console takes a good working knowledge of command prompts...
      I would attempt to do it from safemode 1st if that's an option.

jmarple

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The computer will not boot into safe mode. RIght after the screen that says "windows" when the graphics mode switches to the one where the main windows screen would normally appear, you get the BSoD no matter if you boot in safe mode or normal windows mode..... BSoD says GRaphics driver failed to initialize.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Are you tapping F8 repeatedly right after powering up the machine ? ?

jmarple

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

yes, right after powering it up

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          I'm not quite clear here so i apologise...but if you are able to get into the RC you should also be able to get into safemode...

jmarple

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have managed to get it to boot into the menu that gives you the numerous boot options.. safe mode, safe mode with networking, low res mode, etc, etc.. no matterwhich option I try, I still get the BSoD with the phrase "Video Driver Dailed to Initialize".
            Any other suggestions would be most appreciated, such as the specific path to go in and delete all ATI drivers if that would help?  Is it possible to edit the registry to remove any reference to ATI drivers from the CMD prompt as I can't get into windows without the BSoD?
            Thanks!
            [email protected]

e-mail addy removed to prevent SPAM
            « Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:05:38 AM by patio »

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              Hmmm...longshot, but try one of these:

1) Try "Last Known Good Configuration..."  It seldom works for me, but you may get lucky.

2) Try "Enable VGA Mode."  That should load your desktop in 640x480 resolution without using ATI drivers.

3) Borrow an nVidia card from someone.  Remove your ATI card and boot from the nVidia card.  Once your computer comes up, uninstall the ATI Catalyst driver package.  Turn off your computer and switch back to your ATI card.  Download the latest Catalyst drivers from http://ati.amd.com.
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              It shouldn't be loading video drivers when entering safemode...