Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening a Word doc where it was closed  (Read 2315 times)

Taras49

Topic Starter

Rookie

Opening a Word doc where it was closed
    « on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
    I have a very large Word file.  When I open the document it, by default, opens at the begining of the document.  I would prefer it to open at the paragraph where I closed the file.  Any ideas?

Salmon Trout

Re: Opening a Word doc where it was closed
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
    1. The Shift + F5 key combination is the Go Back shortcut, so if you hit it as soon as you open the document, Word will jump to the last thing you changed before saving and closing that doc.

2. If you always want Word to return you to the location of your last edit when you open a document, you can build a simple macro. First, go to Tools | Macro | Macros. In the Macro Name text box, enter AutoOpen. This is a built-in macro that Word will run automatically whenever it opens a document. (Like any macro, it will run only when it’s saved with the document you’re opening or when the document is attached to a template where you saved the macro. In most cases, Word will choose All Active Templates And Documents — making the macro globally available — but you may want to use the Macros In drop-down list to limit the macro’s functionality to a specific document or template instead.)

Once you’ve entered the macro name, click Create to open the Visual Basic Editor. There, type Application.GoBack

as shown. When you finish, choose Close And Return To Microsoft Word (or press [Alt]Q). If you decide you’re not crazy about this go-back behaviour after all, just return to the Macros dialog box, select AutoOpen, and click Delete.

Taras49

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Opening a Word doc where it was closed
      « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
      Sounds great, I'll try it.  I love this web site!!  Thanks for the advice