Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lightning strikes  (Read 2952 times)

Matty S

lightning strikes
« on: June 22, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »
I heard thunder close by and a pop at my computer.  The power went off.  Now at power up it beeps red and does nothing.  I had a MAUDIO firewire device connected too.  Will this be damaged?  HELP?

pcdoc4christ

Re: lightning strikes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »
I heard thunder close by and a pop at my computer.  The power went off.  Now at power up it beeps red and does nothing.  I had a MAUDIO firewire device connected too.  Will this be damaged?  HELP?

Lightning may damage anything connected to an electrical outlet.  Any devices connected to your computer may also be damaged beyond repair.  There is a slight chance, however, that the fuse inside the power supply may have blown before the motherboard and other hardware were damaged.  Have a computer repair shop replace the power supply and see if that helps.  If it does not, you'll have to buy a new PC.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Doc

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: lightning strikes
    « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 06:14:11 PM »
    Matty S........The Thunder isn't the problem ....it's the Lightning that did the damage ..........  The pop you heard may have been a capacitor on your mobo ......
    Have you opened it up and looked to see if there is any evidence ..... burnt odor or swollen components......
    I would take it in to a tech and have them check it for you .

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.