Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: partition queries  (Read 2469 times)

Sacred_Devil

partition queries
« on: June 22, 2005, 08:41:52 PM »
having some problems with my c drive memories capacity
for a few days, and listening/taking advices/solutions from people everywhere, i finally decided to use "DriveScrub".
now everything starts anew.. very fresh..
so i have some questions in here. Also, currently i am using Windows 98. ok, here it goes:

What is and what does the following do:
1) Primary DOS Partition
2) Extended DOS Partition
3) Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition

Which partition is associated with the following:
4) Floppy disk drive(A: Drive)
5) C: Drive
6) D: Drive(the drive to play Cd-ROM)

7) How many percentage of the memories is allocated to each partition normally?

hope anyone can enlighten me on those questions. Links would prove useful but sometimes i can't understand even though i read them. so words coming out from the mouth is a better "resource".

(i was under the nick "Sacred_Devil",  but i think my school disabled the cookies  so i can't use that nick.)

Hope to hear all the responses from the people in this forum. The email is fake because i will check back this forum every one hour.

Thank You.

Mac

Re: partition queries
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 05:25:02 AM »
having some problems with my c drive memories capacity
for a few days, and listening/taking advices/solutions from people everywhere, i finally decided to use "DriveScrub".
now everything starts anew.. very fresh..
so i have some questions in here. Also, currently i am using Windows 98. ok, here it goes:

1) Primary DOS Partition

hope anyone can enlighten me on those questions. Links would prove useful but sometimes i can't understand even though i read them. so words coming out from the mouth is a better "resource".

Hope to hear all the responses from the people in this forum. The email is fake because I will check back every hour.

Thank You.

Your terminology is wrong. Drive SPACE is NOT memory.

Floppy drive is always A: unless, if you have two floppy drives, the second one is B: The Primary DOS drive (which should be set Active in the fdisk program) becomes the drive C: boot drive.

The Extended DOS drive is required so that the next partition butts up against the Primary DOS drive extending it to hold up to three Logical drives.

A Logical drive is a drive Partition which acts in a similar way to a real drive, but it is not a real Physical drive such as a slave drive.

If you partition the drive with an Active Primary DOS drive C: , an Extended DOS Partition (No drive letter, as it is an Extension and not a drive capable of  holding data) and three Logical drive Partitions D:, E: & F: then the CD-ROM drive letter will become G:

Percentage is a difficult question. It is better to give the full drive size remembering that the manufacturer's stated drive size is usually expressed as a Decimal size.

The usable drive size is expressed in Binary sizing.

Thus a 10 Gb drive works out at 9.31 Gb

1,000,000,000 Bytes divided by 1024 three times, giving Kilobytes, Megabytes and Gigabytes.

Need more, just holler!

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:28:22 AM »
1) Primary DOS Partition

1. Create Primary DOS Partition - Choosing this option you will be prompted to use maximum space. If you specify yes this will use up to 2 GB if creating FAT16 partitions or up to 32 GB if using FAT32. If you choose no you will be able to specify how large you would like the partition to be. NOTE you will need to create a primary partitions before being able to create an Extended or Logical DOS partitions.

2. Create Extended DOS Partition - If you are using FAT16 and have a 2 GB or higher hard drive or have only specified a small portion of the hard drive as the Primary partition use this option to create the Extended DOS partition(s) (other drive assignments). The Extended DOS partition will be used to hold the Logical DOS drives therefore use the maximum space left on the hard drive.

3. Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition - This option is used after you have created an Extended DOS partitions. Once the Extended DOS partition has been created you then can specify the sizes of other partitions you wish to create.

4. None.
5. For simplicity sake, look upon a HDD as a complete cake. You can chop the cake in as many parts as you would.
6. None.

Drive space. Not memory.

7. User defined.

i was under the nick "Sacred_Devil",  but i think my school disabled the cookies  so i can't use that nick.)

No evil is sacred.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 05:47:01 AM »
"No evil is sacred"

I don't think that you understand Catholicism. The Red of Sunday is eclipsed by the Black of Saturday. Red is Illumination and Black is Off, or NO Sun, as in "Out Damned Spot" a quote from Shakespeare.

Hence you hear people saying NO all the time.

I and O is like Io, or Isis and Osiris.

1 & 0 is also like Io in that it is Binary.

God is like a huge computer hence 2001 A Space Odyssey where God is represented by HAL the computer.

How is your HAL.DLL , btw?

It ALL has to do with Angelology and the Mercurial 'Mad Hatter' Hassidim. Dimmer and Dimmer. Dumb and Dumber.

So beware Mumbo Jumbo, the silent Elephant Who never forgets. Used to be a Baboon in a former life as well as being a Parrot Who likes to Tango.

Remember My Sweet Babbo (Babboon) from Peanuts. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Three of them.

Two get married and the third watches on.

I see no holes!

Is that what you meant by Queeries?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 05:48:59 AM by Mac »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 06:00:27 AM »
It is bad to carry even a good thing too far. Even concerning things such as Buddhism, Buddhist sermons, and moral
lessons, talking too much will bring harm.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 03:28:30 PM »
Well said, Grasshopper.

;)