Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Partitiong hard drive complications....  (Read 2880 times)

Damien21

Topic Starter

Partitiong hard drive complications....
    « on: December 20, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
     >:( very frustrated. I'm trying to partition a hard rive on Vista. I'm doing work for an acountant. She attempted to port over files from an XP to the Vista without a partition and the files were overwritten. As I'm working for a an accountant, this is not acceptable. I need to know if it's possible to partition a Vista HD and then port over the files to the partitioned drive WITHOUT overwriting the files. I can provide addtl info if necessary. Time is of the essence!!! Thank you for any and all help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Partitiong hard drive complications....
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »
    Partitions have nothing to do with overwriting files. Tell us exactly what you're trying to do and we'll try to help.

agartner15

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
      not quite sure what you mean but you could try this program

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
      She attempted to port over files from an XP to the Vista without a partition and the files were overwritten.
      Can you clarify what you mean?  Are you saying the hard drive on the XP machine had multiple partitions but the Vista machine does not?  As Allan said, "Partitions have nothing to do with overwriting files."  But, if you want to add partitions to the Vista machine, that can be done and would be a good idea, especially where important business data is involved.

What type of files were/are you supposed to transfer from one computer to the other?  Excel, Word, an accounting application, etc.?