Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Access" Issue  (Read 4887 times)

redwolfe_98

Topic Starter

"Access" Issue
    « on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
    my issue stems from my trying to address the "indeo codec files vulnerability":

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/954157.mspx

http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=835

i used "command prompt" to execute a command, "Echo y|cacls "%SystemRoot%\system32\ir32_32.dll" /E /P everyone:N" (minus quotations), to restrict access to the "ir32_32.dll" file.. however, now i want to undo that, so that access to the file is no longer denied, but i haven't been able to manage to do that, to undo the access-restriction to the file..

can anyone help me to re-enable access to the file? (there is a reason why i want to re-enable access to the file)..

incidentally, i got the idea for using the "Echo y|cacls "%SystemRoot%\system32\ir32_32.dll" /E /P everyone:N" command from the "idefense" article, posted above..

so, again, after having restricted access to the "ir32_32.dll" file, i want to undo that so that access to the file is no longer restricted..

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "Access" Issue
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »
    Quote from: redwolfe_98
    i haven't been able .....to undo the access-restriction to the file..

What have you tried?

Cacls path\filename.ext /E /P everyone:F  might work.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

redwolfe_98

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
      hello, dusty.. :)

i just discovered "computerhope", today.. it seems like a good website..

i resolved the issue by deleting the file in question, which would have been the end result, anyway, if i had been able to accomplish what i was trying to do..

what i was trying to do was to make the file accessible, again, so that i could use a script from microsoft to rename the file as "ir32_32.dll.old" (note the "old" that is tacked on to the end of the file)..

i finally realized that i could resolve the problem simply by deleting the file.. i would have deleted the file anyway, after it had been renamed as "OLD"..

yes, i tried running the different commands, to try to make the file accessible, but i never succeeded in doing that.. incidentally, i am not computer-savvy so i don't know much about using "commands", or the "command prompt"..

i understand that it really was unnecessary for me to do what i was doing since the file already was inaccessible, and, so, was unusable, but i wanted to get that script from MS to do its thing, renaming the file as "OLD".. and i might have learned something about using the "cacls"-command, too, if someone had given me a cacls command that i could use to make the file accessible, again..

if i had just left that MS-script alone, i would have been fine without it, i think, since all of the "indeo codec files" were already "inaccessible", and, so, were unusable.. they just hadn't been renamed as "OLD", which is what the script would have done..

anyway, this issue with the "indeo codec files-vulnerability" is finally resolved, for me..

thanks for trying to help..

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
      Thank you for coming back with your cure and comments & in my original response I forgot to welcome you to the CH forums, so.... Welcome.

Dusty. 
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.