Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2000: multiple selection limit?  (Read 4005 times)

ansilatoms

Topic Starter

Starter

Outlook 2000: multiple selection limit?
    « on: January 02, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
    After having been able to select entire columns of emails for deletion, or to move between folders, suddenly Outlook has limited me to no more than 20 items.  If I try to select more than that, it collapses to one item, and similarly, if I try to add more than that, using the ctrl key, it collapses to one item.  I can't find any preference or option to affect this, and can't find any reference to it online.  Did I accidentally reset something? 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Outlook 2000: multiple selection limit?
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
    Have you tried with the Shift key instead ? ?
    Same results ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ansilatoms

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
      I've also tried the shift key, especially when trying to select a list of emails.  It works for anything up to 20, but not more than that.  This is a totally new behavior.  I've been using the program since, well, 2000 essentially, and this only just started acting this way.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
      Soybean here is one of our Outlook experts...perhaps he'll pop in sometime soon...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
      I'm very familiar with Outlook too and have never heard of this issue. I'm going to check the options now.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
      Have you recently changed screen resolution?

See if this applies: http://outlookliveanswers.com/forums/p/1498/4982.aspx

ansilatoms

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
        No...no changes on resolution.  The issue with Outlook live doesn't appear to relate, but I'm going to look into anything that might be affecting ANY of the caches on my machine.  The only change I can think of occurring, possibly about the time things went screwy on me, might be installation of DragonSpeak...but I'm not sure they relate temporally.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
        And I can't see a relationship either, but why not uninstall it temporarily and see what happens?

ansilatoms

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
          After all the work I've put into getting it set up, I'm reticent, but if I can't find any other cause, I may consider it.  I can live with only selecting 20 emails at a time, but it just seems odd, and is a bit irritating.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »
          Does this behavior appear to be limited to Outlook?  If you open Windows Explorer to a folder containg many files, perhaps you My Documents folder, can you select over 20 files by using the Shift key?

If you can't resolve this in Outlook based on what's been discussed so far, you might try Windows Live Mail (WLM).  To import your messages from Outlook to WLM, I believe you need to first import to Outlook Express and then import from it to WLM.  See Windows 7 - Importing mail from Outlook to Windows Live Mail for a discussion of this. Even though you're using Win XP, I believe the procedure would be the same. 

Another approach to solving your problem might be to uninstall and reinstall Outlook 2000.  Of course, you must have your original software CD to do this.  And, if you go this route, be sure to export all your Outlook messages, contacts, etc. so that you can import them back into Outlook after a reinstall.  Although this step might not be necessary since a reinstalled Outlook might see your old .pst files and open them without doing an import, I'd definitely export before uninstalling Outlook to protect your data.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
          You don't need to uninstall Outlook. You can start the MS Office install and it will offer to repair instead.