Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD ddr2 or Intel ddr3??  (Read 2231 times)

jefflynn

Topic Starter

Rookie

AMD ddr2 or Intel ddr3??
    « on: December 17, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
    So im upgrading my pc and wanted to know if it would be worth it to spend the extra cash on going for the i7 ddr3 setup or going with a amd 64x4 and keeping my 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram? I already have to buy a new mobo cause mines only pci express 1.0 and Ill be getting the hd 5770. So would it really make that much of a difference to stick to ddr2 and an amd 64x4?

This is what I have now from what I remember off hand.

amd 64x2 5400
    gskill 4gig (4x1gig) 800 ram
    geforce 8600 gt 512 mb
    corsair 520 psu 3.3v, 12v I think
    Gigabyte mobo SLI. I dont remember the model of mobo, but it only has pci express 1.0 which Ive heard would slow me down a bit and Im not sure if the hd 5770 would work on it and if it does how much would that slow me down?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: AMD ddr2 or Intel ddr3??
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:15 AM »
    This is my (somewhat biased) opinion.

The Core i7 has a fair bit more of a 'will be out dated in less time' factor.
    As far as I am aware, Intel is still winning the CPU war, pumping out models that perform faster than AMD's equivalents by a long shot.

Of course, if price as an issue, AMD is generally cheaper, and slightly more bang for buck, but when comparing that CPU to a Core i7, i don't think there would be much of a competition.

AMD these days are not friends with the gamers as far as I know too. The Athlons and Durons used to be loved worldwide by gamers, then they slipped in the market.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:38 AM »
    Just to add an opinion to the mix, I use an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with 6GB OCZ DDR3 RAM and a 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card. I have absolutely no problem doing any every-day task. The only games I've played (so far) have required at least 128MB dedicated (with 256MB recommended) graphics memory and I've had no problem setting every video option to either "high" or "ultra" without any drawbacks.
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:51:22 AM by kpac »

neelchauhan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
    I recommend the i7 DDR3 set since it is the most powerful desktop platform I know of.