Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Icon in control panel  (Read 7891 times)

bxgy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Icon in control panel
    « Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »
    ....or try a different AV like AVG or avast!. Neither of these have annoying nag-screens.

After researching free A/V, Avira was really amazing in denying access or detection of virus-type infections. I used Norton for 6 years and recently lost my job, it was time to renew my license so I looked for a good free A/V and settled for Avira. After the first scan it found 6 malware problems that Norton had missed and they had been hiding on my machine for a long time. I had only 1 false positive but I just ignored it when I deleted the malware. Sure, Avira has an annoying nag- screen but I found a fix for that and it does not appear anymore after each update.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Icon in control panel
    « Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
    BC,
     When do you think the results of your experiment will be posted and where can we find them, I would enjoy reading what your findings were. :)

well, step one will be getting off my but and doing it. :P I'm still hashing out the details, since really, I'm trying to effectively separate three kinds of registry cleaners- those are are completely illegitimate and do absolutely nothing at all, those that are legitimate but are "renegade" when it comes to what to clean, and "careful" cleaners, of which I think CCleaner will fall under, that generally only example COM component classes, which only can cause issues in certain circumstances involving networks and removable drives.

But when I finally do it, it will be on my blog pages, accessible via my recently redesigned web page, http://bc-programming.com/.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.