Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Press F4 to Resume Setup"--Error  (Read 11344 times)

neetronic

Topic Starter

Starter

"Press F4 to Resume Setup"--Error
    « on: December 19, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »
    Hello,

While changing the bootscreen the bios got updated, and after this while booting always the message "Press F4 to Resume Setup" message is prompted up. The screen displays my system configuration.My harddisk is in slave mode and CD-RW in master mode,and at the bottom displays Press F4 to resume setup and then XPP boots after pressing F4.The computer works well after pressing F4 with the following bugs in XP:
    - It is not able to write cd. While using nero it always asks for enabling DMA,even if I manually enable it
    -Safe mode is not getting logged on.While logging in Safe mode computer again restarts.
    I took out the CMOS battery and placed it back for resetting the bios but the thing persists.I also formatted the OS drive but after loading the XP the thing persists.

Do reply if you have any solution to it,I have googled it but none was precise.This forum seems very active.

Regards,
    Neetronic

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "Press F4 to Resume Setup"--Error
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
    Unplug the CDRom data cable and boot up the machine...if it boots normally then the jumpers on both drives are set wrong.
    The HDD should be master or "master w/slave present...and the CD should be slave.
    If you have 2 IDE sockets on that MBoard then seperate the 2 drives otherwise cable them like so:

MB=============================Slave========Master.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

neetronic

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
      Ya the boot screen shows that the Hard disk is Slave and the CD-RW is Master.
      Can you mention in a bit detail how to carry out the above configuration you mentioned(..i have not played with the inside cables,do mention in a bit detail).
      thankyou for quick reply

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
      Jumper settings on drives :

Keep in mind all manuf. are not the same so refer to the label on the drives.

The cable referred to in my last post is the IDE cable...flat grey ribbon cable connecting the drives to the MBoard. This is the cable that carries the data.

There will also be a 4 prong plug on each drive...this is the power connector.
      The cables are keyed so they can only be plugged in 1 way but take your time and make sure how they are connected.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »
      Also, what do you mean "the bios got updated"?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »
      I never like the sound of that...

neetronic

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »
        Ya Patio ,I unplugged the datacable of the CD-RW but it didnt worked. Then I plugged in the datacable in place and then disabled the S.M.A.R.T option for the slave drive (that is the hard disk currently) ,this removed the Press F4 to resume setup error but the CD-ROM is still not getting rid of the bug.It is not reading blank disc and hence No Disc error persists while writing image file to CD-ROM,nero also detects DMA access is disabled( One thing can I alter Master to slave without going to jumper as the system was working well before loading the boot screen updation earlier with the same jumper setting as I have never altered the jumper setting).