Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word default text too small.  (Read 10977 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Word default text too small.
    « Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 04:07:07 AM »
    Dang. Not revenue generating??????
    I wonder why they do that? But then, that is what I do, use it to generate revenue/Income!  :rofl: O:)
    Well thats no good then is it?
    Thanks soybean.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 04:36:09 AM »
    I wonder why they do that? But then, that is what I do, use it to generate revenue/Income!  :rofl: O:)
    Well thats no good then is it?
    Thanks soybean.

Couldn't you write the documents in MS Office, save them, and then open them in Open Office and save them from that? Maybe that would kind of dilute the wickedness? Or just not tell anyone?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
    I wonder why they do that?
    It's the Home and Student version, that's Home and Student.  Both terms imply non-profit use.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
    So if you get a Home and Student Edition, and use it for domestic and educational purposes, as per the licence, and then you start a revenue generating activity, you have to purchase a new licence? Is that the idea?

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »
    Yep, that's it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 08:07:26 AM »
    And of course everybody does so.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
    Probably not, but I'd rather state the legally correct position here than not do so.  For an official source on the license restrictions on the Home and Student version, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/HA101655301033.aspx

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
    Monkeying around at home in a small way is one thing I think that if you are setting up a business you should draw up a realistic business plan and include the cost of appropriate software licenses just the same as you would include a photocopier or a piece of equipment.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
    Right, Salmon Trout.  Software used for business purposes is a legitimate tax-deductible item on a business-related tax return.

Small business tax advice: Computer deductions

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »
      I'll have to make sure I go out and buy the right licenced software.... I wouldnt want to get into trouble for that now, ... would I? ::)
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 05:50:14 AM »
      I'll have to make sure I go out and buy the right licenced software.... I wouldnt want to get into trouble for that now, ... would I? ::)

In response to your "rolls eyes" emoticon, the situation is this, ImnoGuru: We all know perfectly well that many thousands or possibly millions of people all over the world run Microsoft (and other) software either pirated or outside the EULA terms. It is a fact. Those people may or may not be comitting a civil or criminal offence in their countries. On the scale of wickedness it is not a very big thing. However, this forum has a policy of not giving assistance or approval to breaching EULAs or piracy or copyright breach, so you are not going to see "It's OK to use your student licenced MS Office to run 15 PCs in your company" on here. We don't personally mind if you do. At least I don't.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
        Yes Salmon Trout, I agree whole heartedly with that.
        I couldnt dream of enticing someone on this forum, or any other for that matter, or in such a public arena to commit to sanction the giving of assistance or approval to breaching EULAs, piracy, copyright breach or getting around things like password protects and the like.

To know that it does happen, does not mean you or I approve of it, or even participate in it, however as  BC_Programmer said," a large percentage of people using pirated software aren't even aware of it."as was in my instance.

I personally prefer to have legitimate copies of software for the simple reason there is a lot less hastle in the long run.