Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cab file error message  (Read 2532 times)

tmm5899

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    cab file error message
    « on: June 23, 2005, 05:36:23 PM »
    what does it mean when you are trying to install windows 98 and after you enter the product key it says something about a cab file being corrupt how can you fix this and what is it it happened with both my windows 98  and 98se cds is there a way to type the words in dos and fix this if so how would i do this and i am not good with hard directions
    ???

Raptor

Re: cab file error message
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 05:37:18 AM »
    Have you reformatted the HDD before installing Windows 98?

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 02:29:46 AM »
    TMM:

Here's Microsoft's "short" answer to your problem:

This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:

• Your CD-ROM drive is not functioning properly. The CD-ROM may vibrate too much for the laser to accurately read the data. With the higher spin rates of modern CD-ROM drives, slight damage to a CD-ROM can affect the CD-ROM drive's ability to read a CD-ROM properly.

• Your computer is over-clocked. Extracting files from the Windows 95/98 cabinet files is memory intensive. If your computer is over-clocked beyond the default settings, it can contribute to decoding errors. Computers that are not over-clocked but are having a cooling problem can also experience decoding errors.  

• Your computer has bad or mismatched RAM or cache. For example, you are using EDO and non-EDO RAM, or you are using different RAM speeds. Even if Windows seems to be running without problems, the additional stress of extracting files and accessing the disk may contribute to decoding errors.  

• Your computer has Bus Mastering or Ultra DMA enabled in the BIOS and in Device Manager. The data may be moving too quickly for the system to keep up.  

• You are using a third-party memory manager.  

• There is a virus on your computer.  

• A plug and play device cannot be detected correctly.

• Your Windows 95/98 CD-ROM or disks are damaged.  

• Your computer's CPU is overheating as a result of faulty CMOS settngs, a malfunctioning CPU fan, or improper heat dissipation. For example, the heat sink on the CPU is not correctly cooling the CPU.

• The internal or external cache on the processor or main board is going bad. This is most noticeable when Setup has this problem during file copy phase.

• You have Norton Autoprotect enabled.NOTE: If this is the case, clear the Norton Autoprotect check box in the Startup group item in Msconfig and contact Symantec about a fix.  

The full article is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140901&sd=RMVP

The first thing i'd check is the easiest: Is the CD-ROM scratched or dirty?  If it is, clean it with some mild (not abrasive) dish soap and water.  Dry it with a soft cloth, but do NOT move the cloth in a circular motion.  Instead, move it from the center of the CD-ROM to the outer edge in a straight motion, as the CD drive will more easily compensate for scratches perpendicular to the direction that the laser reads data from the CD-ROM.  If the CD is not scratched or dirty, one of the other causes listed above may be to blame.

Regards,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 02:30:28 AM by pcdoc4christ »