Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delete system restore points?  (Read 7040 times)

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Delete system restore points?
    « on: December 21, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know how to delete system restore points. They take a lot of space and I'd like to make a batch file that delete all the system restore points and just create one new system restore point. I allready managed to find how to create a new one, but does anyone know how to delete system restores points with vbs/batch under windows xp and windows vista?

Thanks in forward!
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

stlbob

Rookie
      Re: Delete system restore points?
      « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:59:39 AM »
      I've never seen a way to delete/create a restore point via DOS, however you can use a VBScript to do it (do it all the time when cleaning up malware).

Disable system restore, deletes all the restore points and then re-enable it, then create your restore point. All done from within VBScript.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/computermanagement/restore/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:44:30 AM »
      They take a lot of space
      What is a lot of space?
      Using that kind of thought, let's all remove the spare tire and jack from our automobiles. We hardly ever need them.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:58 AM »
      When I installed Windows XP in October 2001, I disabled System Restore. Since then, I have never missed it. I prefer to run my own backup strategy. Every Saturday morning, and also before updating "mission critical" software or altering something major, I make a backup of my system partition. I keep about the last 4 or 5 backups. I formerly used Norton (Symantec) Ghost, but now I uses Paragon 9.5.
      « Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:45:15 AM by Salmon Trout »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
      I must say, for an average user, disabling system restore is not a good idea.

stlbob

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »
        For the average user, it is probably isn't a good idea.  Then again if you backup your data (like you supposed to), and are safe in your browsing habits then I don't see any real problems with cleaning that out. 

Because the problem is that it keeps way too much back history.  If your machine is functioning perfectly, a good clean up keeps it running. Even removing System Restore points is a good way to do that.

Most people would never go back three months for a system restore because that would end up breaking things they have legitimately installed (like Windows Updates, etc.)

I wouldn't disable it permanently unless you're willing to deal with the PC when things go faulty without having a restore point to try.

So, in my opinion, disable it then enable it and create a good restore point to clean up the machine is fine for a functional PC.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:51:09 AM »
        if you want to reduce the space it consumes... change the option accordingly. System Restore has a user-set limitation for each drive.

Having fewer restore points doesn't speed up the PC. It frees up disk space, but if your desperate enough for extra space to start clearing restore points, maybe it would be better to more fully analyze disk usage in other locations, or buy a bigger hard drive.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »
        or buy a bigger hard drive.

Yes, I wanted to say that. Hard disk drive prices are now lower than ever. If top performance of the drive is not an issue, you can get a refurbished IDE drive guaranteed by the factory at a bargain price. This is a great choice for backing up your videos, your photos, your downloads and any other stuff that takes up space that you do not use it every day.
        This link is from a major vendor. You can get a 250GB drive with a warranty for well undrer $100. That would hold as much data as  50 DVDs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=134&SRCCODE=COMPGOOHDD&cm_mmc_o=7BBTkwCjCmH4CjCmH4CjCmH4

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »
        The System Restore feature has its good and its bad points. Good: it allows you to easily protect the integrity of the Windows OS without having to take the time to create a full-fledged backup. Bad: it does not protect user files such as documents, Internet Explorer favorites, the contents of your recycle bin, graphics files, etc. It doesn't protect against a hard disk failure.

stlbob

Rookie
          « Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »
          and nor does it protect from re-infection of malware.  It can hide there waiting for you to need a system restore.  You thought you were clean, but do a system restore and the mess gets reinstalled just like before.

That is why after I clean a machine of malware, I always delete the restore points and create a new one (clean).

But also, if you have an exact date of malware infection, a system restore previous to that date can put you back into working order (not really clean, but working).

That is why I still use it, but I just like to keep it cleaned out from time to time.