Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 32 bit & 64 bit  (Read 4487 times)

JOtrout

32 bit & 64 bit
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
I have upgraded from a 32 bit/Windows Vista XP to a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop.  I have an important program for my business that does not run on 64 bit.  I have contacted the company and the upgrade from the company may or may not happen.  Currently, my program (Design-a-Knit 7) does not work on my new computer. Is there an easy way to install a 32 bit card or something on my new computer so I can use my old program?  Or, do I have to find an old 32 bit/windows Vista computer to keep operating.  Frustrated but not giving up! 

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: 32 bit & 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
You can dual boot, but I went from 64 to 32 for just that reason - some old, custom apps that would not run under a 64 bit OS.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »
You can try the following:
In the Program folder find the .exe for tha app...
Right click it and select create shortcut.
Drag the shortcut to the Desktop.
Re-boot.
Right click the shortcut and select Properties then check "run in compatibility mode"...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »
    Alternatively, you can also install Windows XP Mode in Windows 7, as long as you're using Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

...and no, that's not a typo above: the Virtual PC page leads to the download for XP Mode, as XP Mode runs in Virtual PC. :)
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
    As long as their CPU supports it...not all of them do.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »

VMWare workstation may not be free, but it's "Unity" mode is a lot better then XP mode. you can have Windows 2000, windows 98, and windows NT4 as well as Windows XP applications on the same desktop. Personally though I find it far more sensible to have the windows from each VM within, you know, their own VM window, to prevent confusion. Additionally, as far as I'm concerned; I think XP mode is really just a gimmick. "ooh! Look, This program runs perfectly fine under windows Vista and 7, but, *censored*, it looks like it's running under XP when we use "XP mode"! Look! RED X BUTTONS! OMG! LIKE SRSLY OMFG IT'S LIKE ALL RETRO D00D!

Meanwhile, everybody else is either A:) running the program normally with no changes under Windows 7, using the NORMAL compatibility mode (you know, the one that doesn't start a full-blown VM?) Or using software that is written by programmers who don't CONSTANTLY do the exact opposite of the MSDN documentation. "Oh, well, golly gee, it accepts a 32-bit integer, but only uses the lower 16-bits, I know! I'll shove random crap into the upper 16-bits!

"Why the *censored* doesn't my app work with NT anymore?"

One purported benefit of XP mode is that Internet Explorer can be "sandboxed" in it. That's wonderful. But it still doesn't FIX internet explorer. here is the Internet Explorer timeline:

IE1: Not free. ok, a little less powerful then the competition, but hey, that's life.

IE2: OK, NOW we have a TOOLBAR! Sure, the toolbar doesn't have icons, but I mean, who needs icons? We'll never need icons.

IE3: alright, we added icons to the toolbar. Oh, and we added this really super awesome feature, you can embed and use ActiveX Controls in your web pages, and if you use the CODEBASE tag you can get IE to automatically download and install your activeX Component, it's super awesome! Yeah Binary executable code downloaded without a prompt straight to the client computer and executed! hooray!

IE4: Ok, we seriously could have never predicted that people would *GASP* write <VIRUSES> and force them to download using Internet Explorer! How could people do this to us! But it's ok, we added authenticode, and there is no way they can sign their code without feeling guilty.

IE5: What? They are still signing their activeX Controls? What is wrong with them? Don't they realize that they aren't ALLOWED TO DO THAT! It's against the EULA of the signing tool! Ok, now we are putting up a warning to the user, who will probably click OK anyway. Oh, and we are putting this cute little picture that looks like a certificate! bob scanned in his high-school diploma for that one. Anyway, no need to worry about security! We have CSS behaviours! yippee! Screw w3c, we'll make up our own standards as we go along, I mean, hey, netscape got to invent the blink tag, it's only fair that we make the relatively harmless HTML markup language into a dangerous powerful programming environment! INSTALL VISUAL INTERDEV TODAY!

IE6: YAY! the new version! GET IT NOW! it has new features, like... err, well, it looks a little different. Oh, and when there's an error on your web page, it will prompt you for every single one, even though the user is unlikely to know *censored* a javascript error is or what to do about it. However it will ensure that the user has nightmares about variables being null or undefined. Oh yeah, we TOTALLY redid the whole security thing, we replace that whole certificate prompt with a little information bar, and it makes a cute beep-boop sound, too! hooray! coolness!

IE7: Why are ppl using firefox! It must be the tabs, so we added tabs to IE7! everybody use IE7 becuz it is cool! We didn't really change a whole lot else, pah, bugs can wait! UI features first!

IE8: OK, we truly wrote everything over, the rendering engine is I SWEAR! 100% W3c compatible. Oh, except pages now need to have a totally non w3c header that says they can be rendered by IE8. yeah, life sucks that way. otherwise we'll use our UBER COOL HTML renderer. It's cool because it supports CSS BEHAVIOURS, and you can embed super cool little activeX controls, and when you load them, they make this neat-o "beep-boop" sound! it's cool!"

From this, I have concluded Microsoft's real design goal: make as many beep-boop type ornamental sounds as possible. That is why they made UAC! yet another reason toe beep-boop! it's a conspiracy I tells ya!
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
    Sorry, someone else was talking to me. Could you please repeat that  ::)   :P    ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
    Sorry, someone else was talking to me. Could you please repeat that  ::)   :P    ;D

"beep-boop"

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »
     ;D           ;D

8)

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »
      As long as their CPU supports it...not all of them do.

Good point.

...and BC_Programmer has good points as well, tl:dr aside. :)

My personal favorite VM software is Sun VirtualBox. :)

Yeah, XP Mode is a gimmick, but at least you get a legal XP license for free to use with it for that purpose.  I'm sure you can mount the XP Mode VM in VMWare or VirtualBox, but Microsoft might call that a violation of their licensing agreement...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
      Good point.

...and BC_Programmer has good points as well, tl:dr aside. :)

My personal favorite VM software is Sun VirtualBox. :)

Yeah, XP Mode is a gimmick, but at least you get a legal XP license for free to use with it for that purpose.  I'm sure you can mount the XP Mode VM in VMWare or VirtualBox, but Microsoft might call that a violation of their licensing agreement...

Microsoft would call crumpling the box a violation of their agreement.  :P

well, maybe. And then they will point to an entire paragraph regarding the possible operations on the box, taken from the windows 98SE box:

the software BOX, in those circumstances where a box is acquired, is subject to treatment under paragraph 17-A of this agreement, which binds the End-User to very specific conduct when in the visual range of the box. The box must be placed on a raised surface, such as a bookshelf or other pedestal. When approaching the box, end users must recite the Microsoft prayer:

Quote from: the book of microsoft
      Oh holy software, made my MS themselves
      people say that you have bugs
      and to keep you on the shelf.
      but those people are just jealous
      it's plain and easy to see.
      Because they know that you
      will always protect me.

chorus * 5:
      THIS
      Feature is
      BY DESIGN!
      (background: "there's a KB article about that!")

WARNING: the box must never be bent, twisted, spindled, spat on, sat on, crumpled, ingested, have it's volume taken mathematically, cut, have license details inferred from it's text, copied, duplicated, inserted rectally, involved in a scandal, or within earshot of a giant earthworm or it's accompanying Rubben Studdard. These actions constitute a breach of this agreement and will be followed by strict punishment, involving horsewhipping and or legal action.

THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT CIRCUMVENT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AS AFFORDED BY YOUR COUNTRIES CONSTITUTION OR CHARTER, AND WHERE THIS AGREEMENT CONFLICTS WITH THEM THIS AGREEMENT IS MORE IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE FOLLOWED EVEN AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR LIFE.

Microsoft (c) 1998. "where do you want to go today?"