Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LCD  Monitor went blank  (Read 3546 times)

Mara McKay

LCD  Monitor went blank
« on: June 24, 2005, 12:17:11 PM »
My 17" LCD monitor, made by Certified Data is 2 years old and has been working perfectly until I booted the computer the other morning and poof, the monitor screen remained black, although the power light is steady green.

Tried pressing the 'auto adjust' button on monitor - and while it flickered, the screen graphics were gray and even that only lasted a couple seconds before returning to black/blank.  (Now it just stays black all the time when I try).  (And surely the 'driver' wouldn't just go poof over night?)

Sadly, it's not under warranty anymore, and worse, when I called the store it was purchased at, was told that the monitor was made in Taiwan and parts are not always available for repair - eek!

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to assist me - I've borrowed my grandsons teeny tiny 12" monitor and using duct-tape to attach 2 large magnifying glasses to my eyes is not a pretty sight!  Gentle smile.

Working with graphics and photos are so important in my life and  impossible using the borrowed monitor ... I would truly appreciate any help.

With kind regards,
Mara

merlin_2

Re: LCD  Monitor went blank
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:26:36 PM »
where are you in the world? mara.......some lcd aint that good.....<sling them together a chuck em out the door.>...i would go for the old crt monitors......more robust...maybe its time to but another one...hang on a minute most monitors come with a five year warrenty....call the shop where you bought it!.

Mara

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 12:34:32 PM »
Hi Merlin,

Sadly, I think you may be right about some brands being 'garbage'.  Sigh.

I bought it from a brand name store that has a huge computer department - and this is the store's 'brand name' for computers and monitors - but sadly, it only had a 1 year warranty.

Here in Canada, things seem ever so expensive ... this magical monitor that has gone poof was a gift (and well over $600.00).  Oh well, even having to use magnifying glasses and duct tape  is better than not being able to use my computer - gentle smile.

Kind regards,
Mara

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:47:38 PM »
     Mara>>I would check the paperwork that came with it.....most monitors are guarrentee for five years?? i would suggest ebuyer.com......and things are ......an arm and leg in canada......cheap here in the uk.....are you lot out there being ripped off.....nice post mara...

To quote a phrase one lives and learns ;)Phone the manager of the shop.....and do a deal...for an exchange unit...and tell them .....600 bucks it should have been gold plated.....and say to them i may write to the consumers advice centre.../papers.....you might get a new one due to a malfunction.......stranger things have happened......cheer up...

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »
    Mara McKay...... Was it this one ?
    http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Computers.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Computers;Computers;Monitors;LCD;Certified%20Data%20CD578-1%20LCD%2017-Inch%20Display&CS_Catalog=Computers&CS_RootCategory=Computers&CS_Category=LCD&CS_ProductID=1042878&ProductTab=1

Despite the fact that a LCD monitor is more space efficient , a CRT provides a much better rendering of colour ........particularly if you do a lot of video and photo work.
    One a slightly differant note ......I have several pieces of Certified Data gear......... that work flawlessly .

If your looking for a LCD monitor , have a look at this site ........ http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=12

I visited them in Toronto a while back and was impressed with what they stock .......... Plus they ship almost anywhere .......

Cheers

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.