Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Have I been scamed?  (Read 2199 times)

DaveLea

Topic Starter

Starter

Have I been scamed?
    « on: December 28, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »
    I'm having trouble which may relate to my hard drive.  I went to Western Digital and downloaded a diagnostic program which must be activated by booting from my CD drive.  I thought Vista's "burn" function which appears across the top of the explorer window would do the trick, but it doesn't. The disk will not boot.  I noticed that they recommend using Nero or Roxio. 

I did a google search for CD burners and got both on the list.  Roxio was $49 but Nero said "Free Download".  That sounded pretty good!  Clicking on the link took me to a Roxio ad with a big "download" button.  I clicked and this took me to a "Three Step Sign In" which had the name Nero.9-Ultra.com above and Software HQ below. I filled in my name and email and clicked next.

Here I found three options:  three years for 12.95 per year
                                                 two years for 15.95 per year
                                                 one year for 19.95
    There was no other option and I guessed $20 wasn't all that bad for a valuable tool, I was in a hurry to get on with the test ...  I put in my card number, etc at the next screen and pressed next. 

The screen said congratulations!  Over in the corner it said: You are being charged $52.80 - no explanation what the additional $32 was for!!

It also said "use your email to log in" (there had been no password established)
    I entered my email and was given a list of software types, had to pick out CD burners all over again and when I clicked on Nero I was taken to CNET downloads and presented with a "free trial" version of Nero which I could upgrade later for only $72!!

What do you folks know about Software HQ?

I'm stopping payment in the morning!!

Dave Lea in Fish Creek, WI

Salmon Trout

Re: Have I been scamed?
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »
    Nero software is available in various versions, including a basic, cut-down free version of Nero 9 called Nero Lite. The Nero official website is www.nero.com. The site you mentioned, nero9-Ultra.com, is widely reported as a scam site, so, yes it does look as if you have been scammed. You should definitely contact your card company.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:07:39 AM »
    I agree with salmon trout but would also like to ask what are you using for AV software? Most top AV's will warn you of suspicious websites.
    Also in future only use someone like paypal to pay over the net if your not sure as they offer an insurance. And if something says FREE all over the site but then wants money ask yourself the question would a legit company do this. Also some credit card companies offer Insurance against online fraud so if you have used a credit card speak to them.
    And last of all, if in doubt about obtaining a legal programme come on here ask the question and we will direct you to a safe link.
    Good luck  ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »
    CDBurnerXPro is Free...runs great...and will create bootable CD/DVD's...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "