Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Win XP Pro Help!  (Read 4526 times)

team-rng

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    Need Win XP Pro Help!
    « on: December 27, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
    OK frist of all thanks for looking...just need a little help ..
    couple of days ago i completely deleted my win xp and did a clean install of windows 7 then after few days of using decided to go back to XP...[win 7 doesnt know the words equalizer or subwoofer?thats why..]
    anyway i tried installing windows xp but the install failed it said something like ..error acces denied blah blah blah thats not really the problem though,after win xp install failed i installed windows 7 again it didnt really take long time and in the HDD selection i chose my main HDD and instead of something that said "System" i Chose Allocated or Unallocated space cant remember something like that..right now im using windows 7 again but.. instead of 1 HDD i have 2 now? i only have 1.. but in my computer it says 2.. i believe that on each HDD theres windows 7 installed ..and when i boot i get to choose between 3 OS one is Older Windows..and then there are 2 windows 7 options..i need to uninstall one windows 7 and get my 2 hdd back into one..and i dont really know what to do

team-rng

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Need Win XP Pro Help!
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
      oh i forgot to add that i just tried to play MW2 and every time a mission loads it says i need at least 5MB on my game drive ? and there should be at least 60GB free space on each HDD i think that has something to do with the 1 hdd make 2 hdd files

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
      Based on your post(s) it's impossible to know what you did for sure, but apparently you have multiple instances of Windows installed. If I were you I'd boot to the Windows 7 DVD and do a reinstall, deleting all partitions and recreating just the system partition first.

zabyer

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »
        yeah. you partitioned your HDD and instead of reinstalling Win 7 you installed another one, not to mention, the unfinished Win XP installation created an option on the OS menu prior boot. do an OSRI either XP or Win 7, but got to delete all partitions. this would delete all files in the HDD and get a clean OSRI. regarding the equalizer and/or subwoofer settings, you could install a driver with an application to have setting options. i think you could download that through OEM website of your soundcard. if you have Win 7, no reason to back to XP. if you have more than 3.2gb of RAM, you must use a 64-bit Win 7 to optimize system performance. the only problem there is that not all software and/or drivers are compatible with 64-bit yet. it is very tedious to look for drivers if the drivers you have currently wouldnt run in 64-bit environment and limits the software that could be use if theyre wont run in 64-bit.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »
        What are you talking about?

zabyer

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
          just explaining entirely the whole issue for clarifications. why?

zabyer

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »
            correct me if I am wrong Allan, just don't make derogatory comments. just wanna help. this is what the forum is all about, right. quote: "If you have some solutions, register and help others.  Unlike many "Help Boards", we welcome input from well informed and well experienced members, not just moderators." a bullet in the forum 'read me.' I am open for other suggestions. again, forum. open. let us learn. I will be glad to learn from everyone especially tenured members. :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »
            correct me if I am wrong Allan, just don't make derogatory comments. just wanna help. this is what the forum is all about, right. quote: "If you have some solutions, register and help others.  Unlike many "Help Boards", we welcome input from well informed and well experienced members, not just moderators." a bullet in the forum 'read me.' I am open for other suggestions. again, forum. open. let us learn. I will be glad to learn from everyone especially tenured members. :-\
            ok :)

yeah. you partitioned your HDD and instead of reinstalling Win 7 you installed another one, not to mention, the unfinished Win XP installation created an option on the OS menu prior boot.

Sounds right to me :P

do an OSRI either XP or Win 7, but got to delete all partitions. this would delete all files in the HDD and get a clean OSRI.
            What's an OSRI? best I can guess is "Operating System Repair Install" but the context suggests a clean install, in order to delete partitions. This is probably what confused Allan :P

regarding the equalizer and/or subwoofer settings, you could install a driver with an application to have setting options. i think you could download that through OEM website of your soundcard. if you have Win 7, no reason to back to XP.

Correct; it would appear that team-rng simply was using the generic Sound drivers for their card, my Vista Desktop and Windows 7 laptop both posess equalizers (treble/bass) as well as setup for 5.1 surround.
            if you have more than 3.2gb of RAM, you must use a 64-bit Win 7 to optimize system performance.
            the limit sits around 3.5-4.0GB of RAM, it's an artificial limitation, but a limitation none-theless; the main reason for running a 64-bit system isn't necessarily RAM (although, obviously, if you have more then around 4GB you will have more RAM in x64) the main reason is if you have a 64-bit processor. And of course you could use Windows XP x64 (or 64-bit edition if you have an Itanium) or Vista x64 as well, but that's just being pedantic, since win7 is the only other OS the OP has suggested they have.

the only problem there is that not all software and/or drivers are compatible with 64-bit yet.
            While this is certainly true, for the most part, only custom-written applications built for DOS systems will not run on a x64 PC; the only things one would need to worry about are things like old sound cards or network cards, and if somebody is willing to scrap x64 just so they can use their 8 dollar network card, well, that's kind of silly :P

Anyway, I think the main confusion vector was the term OSRI...  :)
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
            Spell it bacwards and it starts to make sense.....
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zabyer

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
              OSRI - Operating System ReInstallation
              no jargons. sor.=i.  :-[
              BC_Programmer got it right.
              clean installation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
              Sorry I got here late!
              Hey, didn't we just do all this?
              Is this a new OP?
              Did he not do a search?
              [sarcasm]
              I 'm gonna find  my Kodak ran'  take pictures!
              [/sarcasm]