Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Startup due to Firewall not Running Message  (Read 2611 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Slow Startup due to Firewall not Running Message
    « on: December 29, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »
    Every time l boot ye olde system up and it gets to the desktop display, the Avast AV icon whirrs away (as it should) and then it stops for what seems like ages (but not really in computing terms). Then a box is displayed to say that there is no firewall running.
    I seem to recall a previous thread from way back saying that this isn't a problem, but for me, it is really *censored* annoying as l know the Windows Firewall is totally ok.
    Is there a way of getting rid of this message as it holds up the startup, or do l just have to live with it?
    Thanks

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      Re: Slow Startup due to Firewall not Running Message
      « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »
      can u get into safe mode if so try this

press the windows key and R and enter chkdsk /r /f and press enter then press y for yes if asked to run on reboot

then defragment your computer in safe mode and restart and let chkdsk run then try it

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:56 AM »
      1) Why boot to safe mode?
      2) I doubt that checkdisk has anything to do with anything
      3) The CORRECT way to run checkdisk with XP is to boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

4) In unlovedwarrior's signature there are a number of programs listed which either are essentially obsolete or useless (spybot, adaware) or have nothing to do with spyware (ccleaner). And AVG is certainly not the best free av to suggest.

5) OP - I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Avast.

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »
        Hey, thank you both for taking the trouble to answer, and sorry for the delay in replying.
        Followed your instructions unlovedwarrior, but it still came up with the box on the taskbar, upon startup, saying that "your computer may be at risk" there is no firewall active etc.etc.
        At least l've done a defrag and a chkdsk which has cleaned up the odd item! As l said before, l usually just ignore this message, but it's just annoying.
        Allan, that's interesting (5). Now, normally Avast automatically updates itself. I seem to recall that although it's a free program you have to update the login key each year. I've never had to do this yet, but l'm sure l've had this for over a year now. So l'll take your advice and uninstall/reinstall and see what happens. Will keep you posted.
        Again, thank you both. What a blimmin' great site this is. I'm certainly getting to know more about the ins and outs of computers and it's good to know that you can post any kind of question and get a response from someone in the know!
        Regards

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
          Well Allan,
          Deleted Avast and upon reboot the same box appeared, this time saying that there was no AV installed (so that pretty was obvious).
          Reinstalled Avast, rebooted, and DIDN'T get the message regarding Firewall not operative.
          Touch wood, all is now ok.
          Thanks for your help.
          Regards

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »
          You're welcome. Glad it's all sorted out.