Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A multitude of mind boggling issues  (Read 2883 times)

lablover41504

Topic Starter

A multitude of mind boggling issues
    « on: December 29, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
    I must first thank anyone who takes the time to read and answer my list of problems occuring on my computer.
    My computer is a Gateway, model #GT5428, with Windows Vista. My monitor is an FPD1775WTFT LCD flat screen. My computer itself has Intel Pentium D Processor 935, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Optical Drive, Hard Drive of 250GB, AND Memory(1024 MB DDR2). I hope this is enough information on my computer to help anyone who can help.
    Now, onto the list of problems.
    My first problem is that I had recently taken my computer to a guy to repair it, needless to say he did not do a good job, and before I took it to him I uninstalled most of my programs that were just games and the likes. I had uninstalled all of my Sims2 games, so when I got my computer back I tried to reinstall them, but when I did my computer would not recognize my disk, so I thought it was the disk so I bought a completely new disk and tried it. The new disk was not recognized either. I then put in an expansion pack disk, and my computer accepted it. I also recently just got the Sims3 game and my computer will not accept that disk either. I have no idea what is causing this.
    Another problem is that I have a Sansa Mp3 player that I had used on my computer before I sent it for repairs. When I got the computer back it would charge my mp3 player but would not recognize it enough for me to delete or add songs to it. I found the disk for my mp3 player and tried to reinstall the disk, and my computer will not install the disk.
    Also, I have a Kodak camera, model #M1033, that I commonly take photos and video with. My computer will accept and load the photos, but it will not play the videos.
    My last problem that I can remember is that I have some songs I got from friends and such that were on my computer that I moved to an external hard drive when my computer went to get repaired, well now my computer will not play the music when taken off the external hard drive.

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: A multitude of mind boggling issues
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
    I believe the 1st 2 issues point to a CD/DVD drive/burner on it's way out...
    Easiest way to test this is to borrow a known good one and swap it in there overnight.
    Try all the offending CD/DVD's on it...if they work then it's the drive.
    Fortunately they are inexpensive right now and it's something you can replace yourself without heading back to the shop...

With the Kodak issue try transferring the movies to your hard drive and playing them that way...did this ever work BTW ? ?

Not sure about the last one...when you say taken off the external how exactly was this done ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lablover41504

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
      I'll have to look into finding someone who will let me borrow their CD/DVD driver/burner. If it works with the disks that aren't currently working, then I will have to look for an inexpensive one.

I believe it has worked before, though I can not be 100% sure without going through all of my past videos to see which camera I used them on. They generally work if I use my other camera that I unfortunately have misplaced somewhere in my home. How exactly would I transfer it to my harddrive? Through the use of a USB cord? To get my photos and video into the computer I simply place my memory card into my computer and do it that way.

To get my music off the external I connect it through the USB, then I go to my music folder in the external harddrive and click to play the music. That doesn't work. I'm not sure how else to get the music transferred.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
      To copy the movies to your PC insert the card ...same as you do for pics...
      Make a Movie folder...you can name it what you like....
      Then right clik a movie file and select Copy to...and point it to the new folder.
      NOTE: These will take longer to transfer than your pics so be patient.

As far as the external move the music files in the same manner...or they can be played while still being on the external simply by double-cliking on a music file.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "