Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extending a Wireless Network  (Read 2381 times)

Matt567

Topic Starter

Starter

Extending a Wireless Network
    « on: December 30, 2009, 06:02:35 AM »
    Afternoon all,

I want to extend the range on my BT Broadband HomeHub. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Extending a Wireless Network
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »
    That depends on how far you want to extend it.  My first thought would be a high gain antenna though.
    Evil is an exact science.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Extending a Wireless Network
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
    Here's a practical example. This may not apply to you, but it might give you an idea. The school has a wireless connection they use in a couple of classrooms at one end of the campus. But it does not extend to the classrooms on the other side of the campus. The campus has two clusters of classrooms that are separated by a stretch of about 500 feet or so. Also, they're quite a few trees in the way. So what they did is they ran ethernet cable from one group of classrooms over to the other group of classrooms and then at the end of each city said that cable they put in access points. The ethernet cable was tied into the lLAN in one of the classroom, which had a DSL connection to the Internet. That way the children had to 1 AM have their own access point and the children of the other end have the other access point. No attempt was made to try to build a superduper access point that would cover the whole area. Besides, it would have been very expensive.