Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drive Still Alive  (Read 2742 times)

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Drive Still Alive
    « on: June 24, 2005, 11:32:01 AM »
    This is kind of hard to explain, but here goes.

Basically, my hard drive *works* but because it was in a machine that broke, and because my meddling probably made it worse, it seems to be in a state whereby the operating system is not properly installed on it.

If I try and put it in a machine as the master drive, I can't boot up.

I am now embarking on a self build, and want to use the drive. I guess I just want to totally wipe the drive (if it isn't wiped already) so it is like new when I put it in my new build.

How would I do this anyone?

Many thanks for any posts!
    Kop442000

Cary_GRant

Re: Drive Still Alive
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 11:42:36 AM »
    If you have issues with it booting, then there are a couple of ways to go about reformatting it. But probably the easiest is just to slave it to another pc, then right click it after you find it in My Computer and reformat :) Or you can goto DOS and fdisk it from there provided you have another drive (such as a floopy "A") to select it from. Also ANY operating system should give you the option to reformat and do a clean install. Cheers!

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »
    When this drive boots up......it should display No Operating Stytem Found........if it does not.......format it..load a boot disk A:\> format c /s   or format c: the fdisk it.....

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »
      Well the weird thing is..

I did put it as a slave in another PC, and windows said it had found it, but then it never appeared in my computer.

Even though it was there in device manager!

Don't know how to get around that.

Having said that, I now understand what I need to do if I want to wipe it, so thanks guys.
      « Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 12:06:05 PM by kop442000 »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:09:51 PM »
      what ide cable is it on.........it own one? what the make of this drive.......not a maxtor please......

Cary_GRant

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
      don't forget the jumper settings when slaving to another pc. Cheers!