Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer problems on a networked printer...NT4, Word 97, and no passwords.  (Read 2319 times)

pmorries

I am having printer problems, and I am about to lose my mind. The printer is networked and  is an Epsom. I can get a test page to print, and only certain files, which are saved under an old users name(i.e., Pat Personal Files). I can not alter or add anything to any documents saved under this old users name and get the document to print. I did see a message (for a split second) saying that the information may be "read only protected". Also, I can get some information to print on an Excel worksheet (headers),but no information in the cells prints. What makes this a real challenge is that we do not posses any administrator passwords. The old Operations Manager has been fired and is under investigation(for alleged crimes). The organization I am trying to help is a non profit and does not have the money to hire real I.T. help (maybe in June 2010). There are many documents that I have to print on a daily bases...that would be a pain to enter on a different computer. And some of the old documents may need to be printed again for insurance and legal reasons.

We use NT 4 and the documents are contained in Word 97. :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:07:19 AM by pmorries »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The problem is not the network or the printer, it's the ownership of the files.  You have to logon as the Administrator and take ownership of the "fired employee's" account.
Google "windows NT file permissions".