Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to detect hard drives  (Read 2298 times)

scud

Topic Starter

Starter

Unable to detect hard drives
    « on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »
    Hi,
       I just upgraded to a new processor, memory & mother board and lost 2 hard drives. The processor upgrade was from a quad core 775 to i7 & the memory was from 2 x 1GB ddr3 to 3 x 2GB ddr3. The 2 hard drives I lost were both HP(grrr)Fujitsu MBA3300RC's and the controller an Adaptec 3405. I also have 2 Seagate ST3300655SS's that I can still detect. I know HP & Dell use proprietary firmware in their components because I've read about the incompatibility of their SCSI cards on systems other than their own. I bought the 2 HP Fujitsu's on eBay about 18 months ago, from a seller I would definitely consider reputable and had there been a compatibility issue I know I could have gotten my money back asap., but there was no compatibility problem the drives worked perfectly and I have had no problems with them whatsoever until this incident. The adaptec bios is unable to detect either drive at boot up, they both didn't disappear at the same time either, the second an hour or two after the first. Because only on drive disappeared initially, I started with switching cables(w/ power off) and rebooting numerous times, I googled and found the 'spin the bottle trick', it didn't work, also the 'zip lock freezer bag trick' , put the drive in the deep freeze for an hour, and it didn't work either. Shortly after that I found the second drive was no longer detected either, it was at this point I figured it has got to be a firmware issue ala Hewlett Packard. But if this is the case, why now? Why after 18 months of problem free use?
       There is some very expensive software out there, SCSI Toolbox, Bus Trace 8.0 etc.... but I haven't got 5 or 6K to spend and data recovery for 1K is my last resort. The last few days I have been experimenting with boot disk utilities from UBCD, UBCD4WIN & WINBUILDER, but I have not come across a hdd program that has been of help. I'm afraid my lack of programming knowhow(command lines, dos & Linux) is holding me back.
       I'm hoping you folks at Computer Hope might be able to help,
    Thanks, scud

Salmon Trout

Re: Unable to detect hard drives
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:07:07 AM »
    Did you upgrade the PSU?

scud

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »
      Didn't think I needed to, just yet, it's 860w.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »
      Is there a spinup delay in the motherboard or Adaptec BIOS? Sometimes power draw can cause problems at boot up. You said you have a new motherboard, have you checked the BIOS?

scud

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
        There's no configuration in the motherboard bios for delayed spin up, it's an EVGA with Phoenix Bios. This got me thinking, I wonder if Adaptec has any utilities that might help with that. I haven't checked directly with them yet, I've just been looking for programs & software. I'll check and post back.
        Thanks