Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestion for keeping record computer details for CH  (Read 2965 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Suggestion for keeping record computer details for CH
    « on: November 12, 2009, 04:36:29 AM »
    Is it possible to keep a record of the information that CH would like to see whenever a member posts a question?

So for instance this laptop that I am using right now has not had any hardware changes since I got it back in 2004 or there-abouts. If a CH member created a fill-in form that one could keep hand for a copy and paste it would help me for one to just go to it anytime I have to post a new question and then have to look up some of the info that you would like to see that off the top of my head I don't recall. I know that this laptop has an AMD processor but I don't remember which one or how much memory is on board.

Another possibility might be to offer a list ( if there are several different computers that a member uses )
    Scenario: I'm signed in and choose to post a new question and CH recognizes my ID and give me a choice of computers that I have or have posted about in the past to check so the info immediately become part of the post. If, since the last time I posted I changed hard drives or added RAM I can make that change in the form and after I post it become part of the record for next time.

In any event I have a similar problem with two of my laptops which both slowed down significantly after the latest MS updates.

I am not on my home network but I'm visiting my parents who have the same comcast high speed connection, modem, and router that they have had for several years. I turned them off ( they never do that ) and rebooted the modem: Dlink DCM202 first and after it was working ( all lights on and working ) I rebooted the wireless router: Dlink DL624. Both laptops are still slower than dirt; not just on the internet but doing other things as well such as saving while typing.

I know that a more appropriate place to post about the slowness is in the XP section and I will do that as soon as I gather all the necessary hardware info that spurred this post.
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Suggestion for keeping record computer details for CH
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:32:32 AM »
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

go to above d/load and run

it will scan the pc and save to your desktop all the info in your pc , you can open it,copy and paste what you need , if you fit new parts rescan , its simple d/load it to each pc

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:39:08 AM »
      Great! Thanks Harry
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:19 AM »
        http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

slow pc help  :)

Will check it out. In the mean time I just posted some details about the problem in the XP forum

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Dribbling Pensioner
        « Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »
        ok i'll have a look

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
          First, what benefit would it be to all to start a new topic since this topic is over 30 days old ( I am warned in RED )?

Would it help to explain ( an i am certainly not a big fan of "reasons and excuses" however it this case the post was about this laptop that i only use while visiting my parents. It's been since OCT scince i've been here so only just now performed the Belarc Advisor scan that Harry suggested.
          I would cautiously add that before I did that scan i once again wrestled with all of the suggested updates and restarts that are suggested and if i post the results of the scan it might show at least that i am indeed up to date.

In any event before i digress into non-sense allow me to focus back on my question> how and why would a new post be better that continueing from here. ( i will say that i can think of and see many reasons why that might be a great idea under different circumstances but it seems for my issue based on the data that i just provided to you that continuing is better.

If i am wrong set me straight!

Krypto

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

go to above d/load and run

it will scan the pc and save to your desktop all the info in your pc , you can open it,copy and paste what you need , if you fit new parts rescan , its simple d/load it to each pc

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:25:42 AM »
          Maybe with a new topic I (and I think others) could figure out what your current question is because right now I have read this entire thread twice and I can't figure out what your question/problem is at this time. I apologize if it's just me, I am a bit tired at the moment.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:58 AM »
            i'm good with a new topic or an old topic, i'm pretty good a following suggestions etc.

My point originally has/had to do with the fact that most of my computers are not changed so often that i would need to start from stratch with a list of hard and software. SO for instance this HP that has been sitting unused in it's carry bag in the closet for almost a year hasn't changed. When i plugged it in it wanted many updates.

If there was a way that i could post a hyper linked number for instance then the details i wouldn't have to spend the time to rewrite it all once again.
            i suppose that i can keep a copy of any post here on CH that has all of that information except for instance the hyjack this info and copy and paste it into any new posts.

Sorry about the confussion. i was just thinking outloud about a way that it can be stored until something gets changed and the file needs to be updated.

Thanks for your feedback!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
            Near the top, there are the items "Home", "Help","Staff" etc.

Select the "Profile" option, and the "Forum Profile Information" item on the left hand side.

Scroll down. there is a text box for entering computer details.

The result? Every post will have a "specs" hover-over item, with the other data such as OS, Posts, Thanked count, etc.

For example; as you can see to the left, there is a "specs" item. Hovering over this will display the specification of my PC.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
              BC,

i'm on it now. Since most of my problems seem to come with this computer that sits in the closet for months on end maybe it's mostly do to that rather than the details of the computer.

But sometimes it's simple things like the feedback that you just gave to me that works well for my often kryptic posts.

Honestly i don't do it on purpose, being kryptic that is; it's the way my brain is wired. It confuses people more often than i can tell you but has paid off in $$$'s in my art work.

Unless i find a person or a device to transcribe my writing and even my verbal/audible communication or get hit in the head shaking up things so making sense the easy way becomes the norm; i apologize to all who have to suffer through my rambling.

Thanks,

Kryp
              « Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:33:10 AM by Kryptonite »

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:41:51 AM »
              Kryp,

Another option would be to create a Notepad document with the specs for each machine and save them to where you can find them...that way you could easily cut n paste the pertinent info on whatever machine you are having issues with.

Regards,
              patio.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "