Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: task bar showing incorrect message  (Read 2313 times)

corkball

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

task bar showing incorrect message
    « on: January 17, 2010, 06:06:33 AM »
    windows vista business viglen pentium4 1.5gb ram 40gb hard drive
    when ever i am connected to the internet in the bottom right hand corner of the task bar there is a red cross which when opened says that i am not connected to the internet,how can i resolve this
    thank you

Mulreay

Re: task bar showing incorrect message
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »
    Are you using a USB dongle to connect to the internet? Ethernet or internal wireless card?

corkball

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
      no i am using the speedtouch 330 issued from tiscali

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »
      This may be the issue then. As your using a USB modem and not an internal or external wireless card the computer is just telling you that you are not connected wireless with the internal card.
      This is purely a visual issue so I would suggest either don't worry about it and ignore it or upgrade to a router.  ;)

corkball

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »
        thanks for your reply but i have to say that this problem has only occurred in the last 3 months approx before then it was ok

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »
        Ok that's more interesting. Go into control panel then into classic mode then find device manager. Right click on the network adapter then uninstall it. DO NOT delete the driver.
        Then restart the computer. See how that goes and let me know.  :)

corkball

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
          unfortunately that does not work ie it is network adaptors rather than adaptor and when you right click it only comes up with properties,not to worry as you say it is only a visual error.thanks

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
          Ahh we never give up that easy on computer hope  ;)

When you say it says only properties. Have you pressed the the + button to extend the list there it should show you the wireless card and an ethernet driver. Right click on the wireless driver and then uninstall the wireless driver. You could also do the same to the ethernet cable whilst you are there. Then restart. I have attached some pictures for easier reference.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]