Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up and shuts down randonly.  (Read 2804 times)

Mike_Burdick

Computer locks up and shuts down randonly.
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »
My computer is locking up and shutting down randomly.  When this happens it won’t boot up until I remove the ram and reinsert it. Then it works just fine for a while but, as before, it will suddenly shut down and I have to redo the process mentioned above to get it to work again.   I’m using Windows XP Professional.

Is the ram at fault or am I just doing something that I’m unaware of to fix it (like resetting something by removal of the ram)? If it is the ram, is there anyway I can test it?

Thanks in advance…

Mike

Kelly

Intermediate

• What I would look like if I lived in South Park
    Re: Computer locks up and shuts down randonly.
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:51:35 PM »
    Is your power supply fan running?

Is your cpu fan running?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:32:44 AM »
    More information is required.

When has the problem first occured?

Mike_Burdick

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 12:02:39 PM »
    Both fans are working.  I took the side cover off and used a room fan for additional air.  The maximum temp of the cpu was 98 degrees F when the computer failed. I have a pentium III chip and a JETWAY mother board.

I removed all the progams I had on the machine and reformated the hard drive.  No problems on that.  I then installed Windows XP Professional with SP2, and again, no problems with that.  I did a chkdsk on the hard drive and that came back with no problems. It has a hard 40GB hard drive that is partioned 5GB FAT and 35GB NSFT (not sure if NSFT is the correct term but it's the "other" file system).

It seems that the problem starts if I'm running a program that has lots of number crunching. For example, I put on PhotoShop 7.0 and loaded a really big file, then I did an image size change and made it something like 1400 pixel per inch.  It will work for a while but then suddenly stops and reboots.  

The strange thing is that when it fails it won't reboot right away unless I wiggle the ram. If I let the computer sit for a while it will startup just fine without any "wiggling" of the ram cards.

If I run IE6.0 I usually don't have any problems of it rebooting.

Is this possible:  Can the heat sensor (if there is such an animal on it)  for the cpu or other be broken and is sensing a critical heat value that isn't really there and shutting down the computer?

This is driving me nuts!!!!!
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 12:03:31 PM by Mike_Burdick »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 01:19:57 PM »
    The cpu  temperature is very high........have you cleaned the dust from it lately? run  diagnostics>http://www.active-hardware.com/english/misc/sandra.html

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 03:07:55 PM »
    ...The maximum temp of the cpu was 98 degrees F when the computer failed...The strange thing is that when it fails it won't reboot right away unless I wiggle the ram...

98F (37C) is normal.  
    From you description, it sounds like a bad RAM connector.  When the computer warms up, it expands and some of the connections to the RAM module are lost.  Could you have possibly damaged the RAM connectors at some point in time?