Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragon Age Origins Frame Rate Loss  (Read 9670 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Dragon Age Origins Frame Rate Loss
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
The game runs normally for somewhere between 1-2 hours and then starts to run slower and slower. There does not seem to be any consistency to the laps in performance except time. Like the game is slowly using all the available memory. Does anyone have any idea as to why or better yet a solution?

My system specs are as stated in forum profile.
(64-bit OS)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
Re: Dragon Age Origins Frame Rate Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
In Oblivion there is a command; PCB [Purge Cell Buffer], which free's up memory from previously loaded cells (previously visited rooms). Does anyone know if DAO has a similar console command?

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »
    Dude Giv 1 Query At A Time

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
    There is a suspected memory leak with Dragon Age: Origins that causes this. As of the last patch (patch 1.02a (December 17)) it has not been fixed. It's been experienced by most people playing the PC version of the game, including myself.

Patch information can be found here:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/113559

There are a number of workarounds for this. One is simply exiting the game and restarting it when things start to get slow. Other workarounds can be found in this thread:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/87363/1

Even after trying the suggested workarounds, many people still have the issue, so don't be surprised if none of them work for you.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »
    Thanks, I've not found the work arounds yet, but at least I know that I'm not the only one. The problem seems quite random although there is a pattern of graphics cards (Geforce 8-9 series and ATi  3000 series).

Hilariously though my old computer should run dragon age perfectly as it has a Geforce 7 series card (one very similar to the recommended)

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »
    The most common thing is actually multi-core processors. The most common fix is setting core affinity to half the number of cores the processor has (1 core for dual core processors, 2 cores for quad core processors, etc.). It's been a problem since release 2 months ago, but they still haven't found out what's causing it. I'm actually very surprised that they didn't run into this issue during beta testing, considering how widespread it is.

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:15:19 AM »
      Try reducing Resoultion and Texture Quality

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »
      Try reducing Resolution and Texture Quality

No effect, and I would think that all the sufferers of the glitch would have tried that by now.

The most common thing is actually multi-core processors. The most common fix is setting core affinity to half the number of cores the processor has (1 core for dual core processors, 2 cores for quad core processors, etc.). It's been a problem since release 2 months ago, but they still haven't found out what's causing it. I'm actually very surprised that they didn't run into this issue during beta testing, considering how widespread it is.

That's a good observation but then how many people still use single core processors compared to dual/quad?