Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer power supply question.  (Read 3300 times)

King_Georgie

Computer power supply question.
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »
Depending on what time zone your in:
Good / Morning / Afternoon / Evening or Night

Computer power supply question.

Can I use a computer PSU off load, without it switching hard over and blowing up? ???

I am running two usb to ide converters on my computer which both have independant 1.5 amp PSU's, and would like to use a spare 350W computer PSU instead of the two separate ones, which get very hot.

The power supply I intend using would at times be off load when changing disk drives.

Thanks in anticipation

George

Raptor

Re: Computer power supply question.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:05:04 AM »
The power supply I intend using would at times be off load when changing disk drives.

I believe that most PSU manuals will advise you to always have a load (Such as a HDD or a CD-ROM drive) connected.

However, in your case, the PSU would be connected to a Mainboard. To the mainboard, additional components would be connected.

That also counts as a load.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 04:05:29 AM by Raptor »

King_Georgie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 04:11:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply, The PSU would not be connected to the main board so I take it that I would need to simulate a load (dummy load). Unfortunately there are times when no load would have to be applied

Regards George

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 04:45:14 AM »
Before you continue, you may wish to contact the manufacturer of the PSU and ask technical support if attaching a load is neccessary and if yes, what type of load would be the safest.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 04:45:44 AM by Raptor »