Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Disc  (Read 2072 times)

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Boot Disc
    « on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »
    I may have erased the bios on my laptop when I replaced the cmos battery.  The power comes on and the optical drive spins, but no boot up.  I was unable to boot from the XP setup disc.  Can I flash the bios directly from a cd; or, download an XP boot disc and boot from that?

If all else fails, I will see if it's possible to connect the dc hard drive to my desktop to save the data.

Thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Boot Disc
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »
    I may have erased the bios on my laptop when I replaced the cmos battery.  The power comes on and the optical drive spins, but no boot up.  I was unable to boot from the XP setup disc.  Can I flash the bios directly from a cd; or, download an XP boot disc and boot from that?

If all else fails, I will see if it's possible to connect the dc hard drive to my desktop to save the data...
    Reset, not erased.  You don't want to flash it.  Change boot order in BIOS.

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
      Well, I can't even get into bios to change the boot order ... it doesn't come up long enough.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
      You're too slow.  Keep tapping the BIOS Key (Delete-key or F-something key) as soon as you power it on.

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »
        No good.  All the leds light up except the hd.  I'm wondering what good a boot disc would do?