Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ISO Sites with High Exposure  (Read 3787 times)

Balatro

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
ISO Sites with High Exposure
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
I've been unemployed since 2005 & have posted my resume in as many places as possible.  What sites do you know of which are seen by many potential employers?  ???
"If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something." Murphy's Law #4

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: ISO Sites with High Exposure
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
I'd say if nothing happened in 5 years maybe a new approach is needed...
Don't take this the wrong way by any means.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
What sites do you know of which are seen by many potential employers?

Let's hope they don't see this one...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
    Balaton, Very commendable that in what must be a very discouraging situation that you still are trying. Without knowing what your skills and previous employments were (plus your scholastic level and training are) it is difficult to be of specific assistance. However some basic things you may wish to consider:
    1. If you were in a technical or management field in your previous employment to try and get back into the job market you may wish to consider the services of a "head hunter " service.
    2. If it can enhance what might be outdated skills you might seek retraining options. Often for people out of work as long as you have been that may be payed for or subsidized by varying levels of Government or social agencies.
    3. Relocate.
    4. If you haven't done so (which i doubt you have not) maximize the networking possibilities that you have.
    5. Be prepared to accept most any job to get a foot in the door.
    There are some factors that are very hard to overcome such as age (too old/young) also being over qualified for the job you are applying for. The circumstances of your leaving your last employment may be a factor.
      There are so many factors of your situation that are unknown to us it is very difficult to be more precise than this. Good luck and don't give up. truenorth
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:18:53 PM by truenorth »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
    In some parts of modern society there is little preparation for job seeking You have to try other methods of finding a job. A nice resume is not always what works. You need to turn to your friends, family and associates to probe other areas where you can use your broader skills.

You might consider the janitorial business. Don't laugh. It is low pay, but you work at your own pace and have flexible hours. If you have good security clearance you can land a good job.They do not care about lyour communication skills or how you do office politics. They just want you to clean the place when nobody is there.

Balatro

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
    Balaton, Very commendable that in what must be a very discouraging situation that you still are trying. Without knowing what your skills and previous employments were (plus your scholastic level and training are) it is difficult to be of specific assistance. However some basic things you may wish to consider:

1. If you were in a technical or management field in your previous employment to try and get back into the job market you may wish to consider the services of a "head hunter " service.

I know nothing about this.  How do I find that?  How much would it cost me?

2. If it can enhance what might be outdated skills you might seek retraining options. Often for people out of work as long as you have been that may be payed for or subsidized by varying levels of Government or social agencies.

Been there.  Done that.  For a year, I was at a community college, by a government program.  learning Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, desktop publishing, & others.  Still nothing.

3. Relocate.

Don't have the money to.

4. If you haven't done so (which i doubt you have not) maximize the networking possibilities that you have.

Doing that.  Signed up for LinedIn but still usure on how to use it.

5. Be prepared to accept most any job to get a foot in the door.

I am.

There are some factors that are very hard to overcome such as age (too old/young)

I'm over 55, which does put me at a disadvantage.

also being over qualified for the job you are applying for.

No change of that.

The circumstances of your leaving your last employment may be a factor.

I ws laid off after my company was acquired by another & downsized half the workforce.

There are so many factors of your situation that are unknown to us it is very difficult to be more precise than this. Good luck and don't give up. truenorth

Thanks.
    "If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something." Murphy's Law #4

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
    Have you considered a skilled trade?  Many locals are looking for people and as part of the collective agreement pay for your schooling.  As a journeyman OE(Operating Engineer) you can easily earn over 130K annually, the same with IW(Ironworker).

The process is simple, they usually require a copy of your school transcript and signing up with the apprenticeship board(mandatory as most trades are considered compulsory trades).  They can usually get you working in under a week.

There's nothing like going home at the end of the day and knowing that if you didn't change the skyline, at least you are helping to fill it in.
    Evil is an exact science.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
      Balatro, I have had no personal experience with the "head hunter" route.However i have have had family members with high end technical knowledge that have. It is my understanding that they do NOT directly charge a fee to the applicant. Fees for their services are paid by the eventual employer to them after the employment begins. Not knowing what country you are seeking employment in i will give you an example from a "google" search that using the query "employment assistance services" produced 35,350,000 hits. The one i am reproducing is from Canada and may not be applicable for you. However it was only the 2ND listing so undoubtedly a more lengthy perusal will probably provide sources in other countries. http://www.canadianbusinessdirectory.ca/category.php?cat=1012
      When i was referring to "networking" i actually meant using your association with Friends,family,ex associates from your previous times of employment.
      Not knowing the extent of your family responsibilities (which certainly would be a factor in the relocation suggestion) if this is not an issue then try to determine within your country which areas are hiring people and determine if you have family or friends there that could put you up while you search for work. You could always hitchhike to get there or perhaps get a social or government agency to provide you with passage to get there. None of this stuff is easy (as I'm sure you know) but desperate situations often call for desperate actions. Again goodluck,truenorth