Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D: gone  (Read 2387 times)

boygenius145

D: gone
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:46:58 PM »
k well my hp pavilion recently died (the motherboard at least), so took the hard drive and attached it to another computer, a tower computer i got from a friend. Anyways I'd just bought a new samsung cdrw/dvd player, which I had attached to my pavilion. I also transferred this over. I also made the hp hard drive primary master. When I boot up the computer, it detects the cdrw/dvd player as my primary slave as it should, but when windows is loaded, I can't access it nor does it show up as a drive on my computer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 11:56:24 PM by boygenius145 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: D: gone
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:21:04 AM »
     boygenius145........Can you go into the bios and see if it sees the cdrw/dvd drive ?  

When you istalled the cdrw/dvd drive did you see the message new hardware detected ?

Can you change the cd drive to the Secondary master and see if it shows up that way ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:02:14 AM »
    Is the CD-RW/DVD player connected as a slave on the same IDE cable as the HDD is or did you connect it as a Slave to the second IDE channel without a master?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 05:50:32 AM »
    You may want to consider this reg patch <cddgone>
    Read more beforehand>http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm

boygenius145

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:01:04 PM »
    Is the CD-RW/DVD player connected as a slave on the same IDE cable as the HDD is or did you connect it as a Slave to the second IDE channel without a master?

I hooked the CD-RW/DVD player to the slave on the same IDE cable as well. I set the bios to autodetect them, and it detects the cdrw/dvd player at the boot screen, but once windows loads, its not there. I'll check out that patch and see if it works, ty.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 02:01:40 PM by boygenius145 »

boygenius145

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
    boygenius145........Can you go into the bios and see if it sees the cdrw/dvd drive ?  

When you istalled the cdrw/dvd drive did you see the message new hardware detected ?

Can you change the cd drive to the Secondary master and see if it shows up that way ?

dl65  ::)

I've tried setting it as the secondary master and slave as well, with the same results. Also it showed new hardware detected when i installed it onto the HDD before I switched motherboards.  Also it is detected from the bios.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 02:06:18 PM »
    Did you read my post  ::)

boygenius145

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 03:41:53 PM »
    yup  :P

problem is i run windows 98se.