Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dear evilfantasy .....  (Read 2881 times)

newgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dear evilfantasy .....
    « on: January 12, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
    Happy New Year!  I hope the holidays were wonderful for you and yours!

You have helped me immeasurably in the past so I value your opinion very much and would like to ask you a question.

My husband bought me a new computer for Christmas (yea!) and it has Windows 7 on it (yea?)  My old computer operated with XP and I have never used Vista or 7 before this, but I am finding it easy to navigate.

The new computer is emachines with Athlon II with a bizillion gigs of space.

My question is:  do you think I should install CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Deffragler in my new computer?  Do you think these programs would be beneficial to me?

Thanks ever so much!

-granny-

:)

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Dear evilfantasy .....
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
    hi granny i have seen you here before , download them all to keep your pc safe ,  ;D i'm not evil  ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Dear evilfantasy .....
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »

My question is:  do you think I should install CCleaner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Deffragler in my new computer?  Do you think these programs would be beneficial to me?

:)
    I know you didn't ask me, but until EF gets here I'd like to offer my two cents. Yes to MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Also make sure you have a GOOD Anti Virus utility, that it's always resident, and you set it to update daily. You can also download and install SpywareBlaster. It does not need to stay resident, but it does need to be updated weekly. After updating you click on "enable all protection" (it tells your browser where to stay away from). Ccleaner does nothing to protect your system and, in my opinion, serves no good purpose. On the other hand, it probably won't hurt, so if you want to use a placebo that's fine ;). I'm not familiar with defraggler - I use Perfect Disk. Defragmenting your drive(s) is less important with NTFS than with FAT, but I still do it on a weekly basis. What you DO need as a disk imaging utility. The best is Acronis True Image, but it isn't free. There are any number of good free alternatives (http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml). Use it to create a disk image on a regular basis. If you have a second hard drive, that's a good place to put it - I image my system partition twice a week and save it to a second hd.

I'm sure EF will be around shortly. And enjoy your new system.