Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will this motherboard work with this video card?  (Read 3050 times)

kittenhead

Topic Starter

Rookie

Will this motherboard work with this video card?
    « on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
    Hi, I'm trying to do a small upgrade to my husbands computer for a cheap as possible.  He wants to play a couple computer games that his system just wont handle.  We've got an old Nvidia 7900 GT that I pulled from my computer that I want to use but his motherboard doesn't support it so I've been looking for a new fairly cheap mb that will.  We also want to up the processor so I've been looking for combos.

ANYWHO . . I'm curious if this motherboard found here - http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=E-K8MC51G-3200-K5&cat=MBB

Will support a 7900GT (Here is a link to the exact card I have http://www.evga.com/articles/280.asp). 

Thanks much in advance for the help.

~Steph
    *Wavy finger thing*
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks.
    You want to go home and rethink your life."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Will this motherboard work with this video card?
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
    Yes, since your 7900GT is a PCI-E card and the motherboard you cited has # One (1) PCI Express x16 slot and One (1) PCI Express x1 slot, that will work.

What about your RAM?  Most likely, you'll need to buy new RAM, also, since the new motherboard probably uses different memory than the old motherboard.  However, to be sure of this, we need to know what motherboard you now have.

kittenhead

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
      Thank you for the reply.  That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure.  He's got DDR PC3200 memory in his computer ATM.  Another company that was selling that same set up as geek.com listed that 3200 was compatible with that MB.  So I'm a little unsure on that part of it.  I have an extra PS laying around so I've got that covered too.  I'm pretty sure the rest would just be swapping it over, unless I've missed something.
      *Wavy finger thing*

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
      Well, here's comfirmation that DDR PC 3200 will work with that motherboard: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=K8MC51G

kittenhead

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
        Awesome.  Thanks so much soybean for your help.  Hopefully this will get him by until we can upgrade mine and pass it down to him :)

Thanks again!
        *Wavy finger thing*