Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Netgear firewall  (Read 2928 times)

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

Netgear firewall
    « on: June 27, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »
    Hi guys,

I've just installed a dg834gt netgear router and I was having problams sending e-mail's, recieving e-mail's wasn't a problem.

I've been on netgear's website and looked for an answer and found that the sygate firewall I have installed on our computers is conflicting with the netgear firewall on the router.

So.... my question is after all that, Is the netgear firewall reliable ?? ???

Raptor

Re: Netgear firewall
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 03:13:12 AM »
    You may need to open port 25 for SMTP on your Router.

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:16:14 AM »
      I've opened that up but it was a no go. ;)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:44:05 AM »
      If you are making us of SSL or TTL, you may need to open different ports. The E-mail provider their help database may help you determine what port number to use.

So.... my question is after all that, Is the netgear firewall reliable

I determine the effectiveness of my router in the following manner:  Should I disconnect my router, within a few minutes all sorts of alerts will pop up telling me that the [software] firewall (Sygate Personal) has blocked certain scans. Once I connect the [firewall] Router there will no longer be any incoming pop-ups. Only outgoing programs asking for permission or alerts from within my network originating from the Router. (Such as PING)

If yours does not do the same, I would definitely not call it reliable.

You may wish to do research and tests on the following website:

Gibson Research Company
      « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:45:57 AM by Raptor »

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 04:24:16 AM »
        Thanks Raptor,

I'm now happy that my firewall is running well.  ;D

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 04:44:07 AM »
        Good to know. Have you solved your problem by opening TTL or SSL ports?

If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to post.

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 05:35:33 AM »
          I didn't do anything with the ports, I just ran the test that you told me about on the netgear firewall, test came up trumps so i turned off sygate.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 08:34:46 AM »
          You may wish to install Zone Alarm. A decent free firewall.

What Router firewalls can often not do is control program access. Which is vital when attempting to control a trojan infection or block spyware.

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 08:44:54 AM »
            Will zonealarm be able to run along side the netgear firewall which is hard wired into router.

I found e-mail worked and internet was quicker when i turned sygate off.

These were the two reason that i stopped using sygate.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 09:01:14 AM »
            Odd, I experience no difficulties concerning Sygate. However, I own a Q-TEC router.

Unless specificed by the manufacturer, Zone Alarm should not be incompatible with your Router.

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 09:49:25 AM »
              The major problam that was causing all the aggro was the fact we couldn't recieve e-mail while sygate was running, also every now and then some web pages wouldn't load up unless we allowed all on sygate.

With the firewall tester link that you posted, i tested the router firewall. nothing seemed to get in or out so i was happy with that.

Then you posted this:-

What Router firewalls can often not do is control program access. Which is vital when attempting to control a trojan infection or block spyware.

Do you think i should run sygate along side router firewall just to be on the safe side?

All i will have to do is allow all on sygate to recieve e-mail's.  ???  ;D

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 11:19:09 AM »
              I assume that you are using the personal version of Sygate, which is free. You may as well use Zone Alarm Free. Both are excellent firewalls.

And yes, you should use a software firewall even when you have a hardware firewall. Program control can be very important. Plus, should you ever need to demilitarize adresses your software Firewall can be of good asssistance.

jowser

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 12:23:26 AM »
                Cheers Raptor,

I've installed zone alarm, i can now recieve e-mail while the zone alarm firewall is on.

Thank you for your time.   ;D

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 03:35:35 AM »
                You are welcome!