Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu Karmic and Fujitsu C2310 Laptop  (Read 3606 times)

Quantos

Topic Starter

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Ubuntu Karmic and Fujitsu C2310 Laptop
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »
Hey guys, I just installed Ubuntu a few days ago.  I thought it was time to try Linux again.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm apparently using the generic drivers, and have no idea where to find the specific drivers or how to install them.  Here is a link to the craptop, err laptop's specifications.

Any ideas?
Evil is an exact science.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Ubuntu Karmic and Fujitsu C2310 Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
Are you having any problems with the generic drivers? Which drivers do you need?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Quantos

Topic Starter

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
I'm actually not experiencing any problems, but I do prefer to have the actual hardware specific drivers. 

I just have no idea where to find them or how to install them.  I haven't run Linux since Mandrake 7.2(many years ago).

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
Well, it's a lot like windows. You go the the hardware manufacturer's website. For example, You have a Intel Extreme Graphics 2 GPU so you would go here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+grap

The fujitsu site only has XP drivers listed for your machine. You will have to find drivers from the specific component manufacturers websites. As far as I know there is no program for linux like everest, that will tell you the details of your hardware.

The best advice that i can give here is: If it aint broke don't fix it. You can cause yourself a lot of headache monkeying around. Unless you have a specific reason to install a driver just leave it alone.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Quantos

Topic Starter

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
Cool, I just thought there might be one site with a suite of drivers for my craptop.

I do tinker, and I am well aware of the grief it can cause, that's why I'm testing Linux again.  Many of my friends are asking, and I can't give them an educated answer unless I screw around with it.

This is by no means my only computer and I really don't care if the software gets messed up.  Format and reinstall is easy.