Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wlan  (Read 9284 times)

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: wlan
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »
The developer gave permission to edit the program. 8)

Yeah why don't you prove that.

If you got permission to edit the program why not just ask the developer to edit it for you?
You can't fix Stupid!!!

dragonpiper

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
    because if i was to ask him he would probably just add to a later version which would take months. Also if is wasn't able to edit it why would he distribute the source with every release of the program and include comments in the coding ?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
    This program isn't FOSS(Free Open Source Software), it's illegal for us to modify it.  You will have to live with it the way it is, or find another program that does what you want.
    Evil is an exact science.

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
    because if i was to ask him he would probably just add to a later version which would take months. Also if is wasn't able to edit it why would he distribute the source with every release of the program and include comments in the coding ?

you still haven't proven that the developer gave you permission to edit or have some one else edit his software.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Zorro

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
    If you're the police where are your badges?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 03:30:45 AM »
    Quote from: Quantos
    This program isn't FOSS(Free Open Source Software), it's illegal for us to modify it.

Yes it is! Polish your eyeglasses! If it was pirated Microsoft source code, that "illegal" might have some meaning, (maybe) but see below...

Quote from: mroilfield
    you still haven't proven that the developer gave you permission to edit or have some one else edit his software.

He did, actually, in his first post. (Am I the only person here who can read?)  ::)

...here is the  source.

{
      PSPdisp (c) 2008-2009 Jochen Schleu

wlan.pas - functions dealing with wlan transfer

This software is licensed under the BSD license.
      See license.txt for details.
    }

Come on guys! I know that this is a technical forum, not a legal one, but come on! I have heard some BS in my time, but some of that above takes the biscuit! How hard is it to check out what the BSD Licence is, and what it means?

There is this search site called "Guggle" or something like that, and it has this one very handy feature. If you type in some words like "BSD License" it finds pages with those words on! Real, neat, eh? In fact it found me a site which says this...

BSD License Explained In Layman Terms

It’s always bothered me, how confusing the many Free and Open Source Licenses are. There are many to choose from. As a developer, which one do you pick? How do you choose what software to run? What applications or services will you deploy pending licensing? These are big questions, and I hope to make explaining licenses easy and in simple terms for the average user. I’ll start with one of the more common licenses, the BSD license.

In a nutshell, the BSD license is a very open license, allowing you do do practically anything with the software. It’s less restrictive than the GPL, but more restrictive than the Public Domain. There are only a couple precepts that must be adhered to, when using this license:

* You are free to redistribute the software, in binary or source form, as long as the copyright, conditions and disclaimer are present.
        * You cannot use the name of the originating organization, or contributers, to promote derivatives of the software, without written consent.

If adhered to, you are free to modify, copy and redistribute BSD-licensed software in either source or binary form as you see fit. You are not required to return code or patches to the upstream BSD-licensed software. You are free to change the license, or charge for derivatives, of the software, be it commercial or proprietary.

BSD-licensed software is particularly attractive to organizations providing a service, such as GMail, or embedded applications, such as your mobile phone or stereo. The company/developer can use BSD-licensed software to produce binary applications or services, without releasing the source code.

http://pthree.org/2007/08/08/bsd-license-explained-in-layman-terms/

So, in short, the BSD licence is less restrictive than other FOSS licences such as e.g. GPL, which forces you to release the source code. You can do whatever you like in the way of altering the source code and recompiling, you can then sell or give away the altered product, (binaries and/or source as you wish) and as long as you stick to those 2 bullet points above, you'll be fine.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:58:32 AM by Salmon Trout »

dragonpiper

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 03:45:07 AM »
      Finally someone who understand licensing. Thank you for clearing that up.  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 03:48:55 AM »
      Finally someone who understand licensing. Thank you for clearing that up.  ;D

I know I said some hard things to you, but you did not deserve all that crap about licencing, when you put the licence details in plain view in your first post.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
      Hey, look at that, it is there.

I don't know how I missed it, oh well.

My apologies Dragonpiper.
      Evil is an exact science.

dragonpiper

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
        thanks for your apologies. :)

dragonpiper

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
          Will someone please help me.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »
          I think we'd have to teach you Pascal in order to effectively help you. You're at the wrong forum, matey.