Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop white screen then death  (Read 2337 times)

aussie11

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Laptop white screen then death
    « on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:23 AM »
    Hi All
     On the internet the other day and the screen just went completely white rebooted and now just have a black screen nothing appears to work.

The fan is running and the c.d drawer is working and spinning up and the usual lights on the keyboard are on but that’s it.
    I have tried external monitor but it’s not signalling the monitor to start.
    Have tried booting without the H/drive and removed the two ram sticks and booting with one at a time made no difference.

Got a bad feeling about this any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

My laptop is a Compaq Presario, amd turion *2, vista home.

Mulreay

Re: Laptop white screen then death
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »
    When you plug in the external monitor are you using the Fn key to swap over to external monitor? How are you connecting the external monitor? The laptop screen when you say it's black is it black as in no power at all or is there a grey sheen to it meaning it is powered up?

aussie11

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »
      Hi Mulreay
      Yes I tried the Fn key I am plugging in my P.C monitor directly into the external display port on the laptop.
      The laptop screen is not powering up at all.

Bad feeling is getting worse, managed to pull my important stuff off the H/drive using a caddy so the H/drive looks O.K

The machine is just out of warranty, just my luck.

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:45 AM »
      Yeah it's a tough one because with any display your stuck as to how much troubleshooting can be done in device manager. Sounds to me like your display adapter has gone. Sorry I'm stuck as to what I can suggest other than taking it to your local computer store and seeing what they think.
      Somebody else may come along with some more advice.
      Sorry I could not help you further.  :(