Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening a picture in "my pictures"  (Read 2524 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Opening a picture in "my pictures"
    « on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
    I have a great variety and number of pictures in "my pictures". About 50% of them i can open by just "double  clicking" on the thumbnail. However in all the other pictures (file type ="file" ) i must go through the "open with " command. There is only one in the list that will in fact always open all these pictures. It is "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". The option to "always use the selected program to open this type of file" is always greyed out and cannot be implemented. Is there some way i can gain access to the "Always-----" option or alternatively (very distant 2ND choice) convert the pictures to another format such as JPEG and be able to view it as i do with the other 50%? truenorth
    O/S= Win Xp Pro

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Opening a picture in "my pictures"
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
    However in all the other pictures (file type ="file" )
    ???  "file" is not a file type.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
      Soybean, Well that it what is displayed in the "properties" (in type of file) of the thumbnail of the relevant pictures i have noted. truenorth

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
      What do you believe is the correct format for those files showing "file" as the file type?  As a test, select one of those files and try simply changing the file extension by changing the file name via Windows Explorer.  For example, if you think the file is truly a JPEG, change file name to reflect that.  Then, see whether it will open the same way of other JPEG images.   

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
        soybean, I am not sure if i have done what you wanted me to do. This is what i did. I opened "my pictures" which is an explorer window. Then i selected one of the relevant pictures and "renamed it from "waves" to "waves jpeg". It made no difference it remained as a "file" in file type and would still only open with the previously identified program. I had composed a CH reply to you wherein i tried to send you the "waves jpeg" ( thought that it was likely a jpeg as they are all under 100 kb's). However when i included the attachment and then tried to send it it came back with an error that only certain types of files can be attached and jpeg was one of them. So that it would not attach it i cannot imagine what it is as most common file types are available to be attached.truenorth

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
        Then i selected one of the relevant pictures and "renamed it from "waves" to "waves jpeg".
        That's not what I suggested.  I suggested waves.jpeg.  Change the file extension, not the main filename.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
          soybean, After your counsel with further research i found the following link
          http://ask-leo.com/what_does_if_you_change_a_file_name_extension_the_file_may_become_unusable_mean.html
          I strongly suspect this is where you were trying to lead me. I followed the instructions to the letter in this link (excellent by the way) including the unchecking the "hide files" recommendation. I opted for changing the file extension (from heaven knows what) to .jpg. In every case they are now thumbnails exactly as the others and now open without involving "open with". Your assistance and guidance is much appreciated,thank you,truenorth

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
          Glad to hear problem resolved.   :)