Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it illegal to throw away guitar amplifiers?  (Read 21917 times)

EEVIAC

Is it illegal to throw away guitar amplifiers?
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:25:18 AM »
I've got a guitar amp that's old and it weighs 47 pounds.  The local electronics recycling center charges 30 cents/pound for anything that is not a CRT monitor or CRT televistion..

It would cost me about 15 bucks to recycle it... Frankly I'd rather put it in the dumpster at my apartment complex...

Salmon Trout

Re: Is it illegal to throw away guitar amplifiers?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »
People pay money for stuff like that, especially if it is a vacuum tube amplifier. You could try Ebay or Craigslist or an ad in your local newspaper. Is there a music/guitar shop that would let you put an ad in their window?

In any case, we don't know where you live,   ::)   so we can't tell you (even if we knew) what local laws apply to waste disposal in your town or city or state or country. Enquire at your city hall.

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
Actually, there's a recycling dumpster right next to the trash/garbage dumpster that accepts a variety of stuff including, "small" appliances. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:28 AM »
Actually, there's a recycling dumpster right next to the trash/garbage dumpster that accepts a variety of stuff including, "small" appliances. 

But... does it pay you for it?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:50 AM »
That really depends on where you live at. Where I live you can throw away 3 televisions and 10 buckets of paint and nobody would notice. Some cities and states have their own local laws that are more strict. Europe has the WEEE Directive but I'm not sure if it's really law for individuals or just manufacturers.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »

If you put it in there, how is anybody going to know it was you? (Especially if you do it at night when nobody is about) Or get a friend or relative to drive you to another one some distance away.

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:48:54 AM »
@  BC

The amp doesn't work  :P     Otherwise I'd keep it.  It needs new tone/volume knobs soldered into the internal board.  It's not worth fixing to me... If someone else wanted to fix it, I could probably only get like 10 bucks for it... It's not worth it..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:34:37 AM by EEVIAC »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
Europe has the WEEE Directive but I'm not sure if it's really law for individuals or just manufacturers.

The WEEE directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers of such equipment. They impose a duty of care upon the provider towards the end user, who as a result has a disposal route, but no legal obligations under WEEE.

In Britain, if you are an importer, rebrander or manufacturer of new electrical or electronic equipment then it's likely that you'll need to comply with the UK's WEEE Regulations, which in part implement the WEEE Directive. If you do need to comply, then you must register on a producer compliance scheme. You may also have obligations under the WEEE Regulations if you are a business with electrical or electronic equipment to dispose of, or if you sell electrical or electronic equipment.

However, most city, town or county authorities have regulations governing what can be dumped by individuals and where.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:22 AM »
@  BC

The amp doesn't work  :P     Otherwise I'd keep it.  It needs new tone/volume knobs soldered into the internal board.  It's not worth fixing to me... If someone else wanted to fix it, I could probably only get like 10 bucks for it... It's not worth it..
It doesn't need to be in working order. Like somehow, the parts for a car can be worth more than the car itself, that may just apply in this situation.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
At midnight, dump the amplifier on the electronics recycling center's doorstep. :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
At midnight, dump the amplifier on the electronics recycling center's doorstep. :P

And, to add to the confusion, wrap it in a blanket and put it in a bassinet with a tape recorder playing baby sounds.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
 :o :o........... ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead Reckon

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
It ought to be illegal to throw anything away that's loud enough to annoy thy neighbors  ;D

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
you can recycle anything with electric parts in it in the recycling centre free of charge , why dump it some where

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
you can recycle anything with electric parts in it in the recycling centre free of charge , why dump it some where

It would cost me about 15 bucks to recycle it