Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with back up  (Read 5510 times)

Bobh

Re: Need help with back up
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »
Hi -
I followed the suggestions and downloaded Macrium Reflect.  I have copied the instructions but they have some instructions that don't exactly match what comes up on my monitor.  I get the idea and I think I can figure it out.  But a couple of questions to get me started.  I am running Vista Home Basic   32 bit.  My hd has 2 partitions:  C & D.  Do I want to back up both of these?  I guess I want the back up put on DVDs or is there someplace to put it?  If I use DVDs should they be formated before inserting them (I'm assuming I will need several) or can I use non-formatted ones?   Please bear with me, I'm on a learning curve.    Thanks   Bob 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Concentrate on backing up C: for now...D: may be a hidden recovery partition for restoring the machine back to Day One status...if that's the case there is a different method for creating the Recovery CD's...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bobh

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Patio -
OK I will try C when I get through running my security.  I want to make sure all the bad stuff is gone before I try a back up.   Thanks    Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »
Good idea Bob...you're an astute Student !

Bobh

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
Patio -
I did it!!!  I ran my security and called up Macrium Reflect and followed the instructions (guessing at a couple)  and it ran a back up of "C".  It took 3 discs.  They need not be formatted before as the program will do it when you insert a new disc.  I am not going to try to back up "D" as it is the registry and several people have told me to leave that alone.  If anything happens to "D" I have a disc to use to start over.  Thanks for your help and time.     Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
Excellent ! !

Post more info on your machine and let's get those Recovery CD's built...
You don't neccessarily need them now that you have a succesful image created...but it's good to have for peace of mind anyways...

Bobh

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
Patio -
I hope this is what you want, if it is not or if you want more let me know and I will try to find it.
Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel Celeron D CPU 3.33 GHz
1.50 GB RAM
Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family

I don't know what this is but I copied it from a "Welcome" page.  I know there is a page that has more information but I could not find it.     Bob

Bobh

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »
Patio -
My computer is an E Machine (built by Gateway).  While I was looking at programs to find more information about my computer I found a page " eMachines Recovery Center"  I wish I could give you a screen shot but I tried that and found out that I did not know how.  This page had 4 items listed:

Recovery  -  Factory system recovery
Programs  -  Application recovery  -  Add/Remove Programs
Hardware  - Device driver recovery  -  eMachines User Guide
Applications and Drivers external media  -  Create Application and Drivers recovery disc

It sounds like I can go to these programs to recover somethings.  I have not tried any
of these nor do I know where I can get any explanation.  Do you know where I can get help with E Machine computer?   Bob

bahala2142

Starter

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
    maybe ure CD was the problem try another CD becoz some CD`s that was burn was have a problem....

ImnoGuru

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:19 AM »
      Pardon me Bobh, for butting in. I saw in the thread that Broni suggested some free backup software and went there.

Broni, I wanted to find out what the paid edition means when they say, password protection, please.

Does that mean it will save the passwords or you can create a password for your files?

Thank you Broni and Bobh.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Bobh

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:58:33 AM »
      Imnoguru -
      I do not know the answer to your question.    Bob

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 05:54:46 AM »
      Pardon me Bobh, for butting in. I saw in the thread that Broni suggested some free backup software and went there.

Broni, I wanted to find out what the paid edition means when they say, password protection, please.

Does that mean it will save the passwords or you can create a password for your files?

Thank you Broni and Bobh.

Imnoguru: think about the name. password, <protection> if it was saving the passwords, would it be called that? I can see how one might see it as "protecting" your passwords from getting lost, but in common parlance "password protection" means that a password is issued onto something so that only somebody knowing that password can access whatever is protected.

In this case, the image file.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
      • The wonders of modern technology.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 06:06:48 AM »
        Thanks Bobh for the reply, I see that BC_Programmer has the answer I was looking for. Thank you BC_Programmer.
        I thought I was on the right track... but as they say the only silly question is the one you don't ask.

Bobh, I was looking through post for answers to questions, that I had been thinking of myself since obtaining my laptops.

Thank you all.
        It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.