Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Freezes Pt.23543534 Lol  (Read 2605 times)

Sami Philadelphia

Vista Freezes Pt.23543534 Lol
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys could help me with this. I've searched for similar cases and so far I've performed the following to try and solve the problem, all in vain though.

*Uninstalled/Reinstalled Video/Audio drivers
*Rebuilt Index
*Stopped using Aero
*Taken battery out
*Ran a virus scan (I used Kaspersky, it did find some malicious tools and trojans, and it did seem to help a LITTLE, very little)
*Deleted 50gbs of data from a 150gb hard drive (I have 2 150gb hard drives)
*Used PC Decrapifier to delete all those pre-installed programs
*Used CCleaner
*Ran a full scan for disc consistency, and sectioned off the bad parts.
*Tried a "Clean boot"

I even let it sit turned off for 2 weeks...

My specs are...
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Intel core 2 duo T6400 (2.0GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
Intel GMA 4500MHD
4GB Ram DDR2
320 GB HDD
Realtek HD Audio
(I just read it off the little sticker...)

It should be noted that the computer runs fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking.

The computer freezes randomly into the session, when starting up in normal mode, it freezes within 2-5 minutes. When in diagnostic mode with only microsoft services enabled, it last maybe 10-15,20 minutes. It lasts around 30 minutes with windows audio off, but who knows what thats about.

The freeze usually is sudden, I'll be typing or performing a task like deleting something, or adding a song to my music library and it'll simply stop working, the start menu will work (except in aero, the start menu and task bar freeze also) but I can't open anything, and eventually the blue circular pointer pops up and everything including the start menu and right click stop working.

I use my computer for home recording and music, so I do download alot, although, my virus scanners aren't detecting anything. It should be noted though, that I can never run a full scan, because the computer freezes before it can ever get through.

My laptop screen is broken, it broke perhaps a month after I got it, from my own negligence, but it was working fine after that, I just hooked up an external monitor.

In December my friend gave me a copy of Cubase, upon trying to install it, the computer experienced a serious slow down, so I removed it, and downloaded BitDefender to see if I could find a problem. After installing bit defender and trying to run it the computer ceased to last in normal mode for more than 5 minutes, and I've been in safe mode since then, although, that could be coincidence.

It should also be noted, sound works in safe mode for me?
So, -shrugs-

The plastic lining for my line in and microphone ports are also cracked, but thats just general wear and tear I believe, and shouldn't affect my computer this much should it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Vista Freezes Pt.23543534 Lol
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
find out the model of your hard drive and download and run their diagnostic utility.

before you do that, you can use the built in Windows chkdsk tool:

Start, type "cmd" in the search box. right click the "command prompt" entry and select "run as administrator".

Now, in the command prompt that appears, type "chkdsk /r"

you will probably have to go through a few prompts; say yes to both. Then reboot your machine.

Chkdsk should perform a thorough disk scan of your drive as windows starts. take note that this can take a LONG time; in the order of a few hours, so make sure to have a pot of coffee and a good book, heh  :P.

If it finds any bad or failing sectors (these will appear as it scans, and can be later viewed in the event viewer) then your hard drive is probably on the verge of failure- make sure you have everything backed up and get it replaced ASAP.

If however it doesn't say anything about bad sectors or reallocation of blocks, but reports other errors, those might be the cause of your freezes.

of particular interest is wether your hard drive light is solid while windows is frozen?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jkolak

Hopeful
    Re: Vista Freezes Pt.23543534 Lol
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
    *Ran a virus scan (I used Kaspersky, it did find some malicious tools and trojans

This type of malware is often not able to be successfully removed with just a virus scanner. If advice you get here is insufficient, you may have to open a help request in the malware section.