Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CAN NOT BUY ONE ONE ON A LOW INCOME PLEASE HELP  (Read 3502 times)

MARYBOO

Topic Starter

Beginner
    CAN NOT BUY ONE ONE ON A LOW INCOME PLEASE HELP
    « on: January 20, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
    I have a acer windows vista laptop i put it on and it start and go before the desk show up a ERROR come up.

CONFIGURING UPDATE. STAGE 3 OR 3 0% COMPLET it stay for a little and restart. it do the same thing over and over i can not get to any thing after the error not thing.

i am on a low income can not buy one hope some one came help.

I DO NOT HAVE A DISK PLEASE HELP  >:(
     :(
     ???
     :'(
    Mary

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: CAN NOT BUY ONE ONE ON A LOW INCOME PLEASE HELP
      « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
      Hello Maryboo. Welcome to Computer Hope.

You already have a thread open in this forum. You were supposed to reply to your existing thread, not create a new one.

In the previous thread, you were instructed:

First of all can you disable your caps key so you are not seeming to SHOUT!
      You need to go to your last restore point and start again.
      If you need help doing this then we will help.

Use of capital letters in net etiquette (netiquette) is considered shouting, and is considered rude behavior. This post is better than the last one, but it is really only appropriate to capitalize a single word or so for emphasis, like you did here:

show up a ERROR come up.

Next you were instructed to go back to your last restore point or to ask if you don't know how.

I will assume you don't know how.

I will assume your Acer laptop works the same way as my Acer Travelmate 2480. If you do not have an Acer Travelmate 3270 or 3260 or 2480, these instructions may not work on your laptop. If not, you can download the manual for your computer from the Acer website if you do not have your own manual anymore.

To get to boot options, repeatedly tap the F8 key while the computer is powering up. One tap is enough, but the timing is difficult, so tapping repeatedly will get it when it needs it.

This will give you a menu of boot options such as Safe Mode and Last Good Configuration that Worked.

Choose Last Good Configuration and watch to see if your computer will boot up.

If not, you can try again to see if it will boot using Safe Mode.

If not, you can do a repair install from a Windows Vista Installation Disk. Since you don't have one, you will have to borrow one from somebody.

If your Acer is the same as mine, there is also an option to wipe your computer clean and restore it to the original factory setting. This will erase everything on your computer. If you want to do this, and if your computer is the same as mine, here are the instructions.

1) When the computer starts to power up, tap the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.

2) Check to see if Acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.

3) Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.

4) Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.

5) While the Acer logo is showing, press <Alt> + <F10> at the same time to enter the recovery process.

6) Refer to the onscreen instructions to perform the system recovery.

Note: This feature occupies 2 to 3 GB in a hidden partition on your hard disk.

When you finish, return here and post your results and any questions.
      « Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:11:40 PM by jkolak »

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
      That may be the worst subject title I've ever seen

jkolak

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
        Well, if you weren't on a computer forum, you certainly wouldn't know the post was about computers.

I hope it helps anyway. I saw her log in and read it, so maybe she will get it running now.

MARYBOO

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
          Well, if you weren't on a computer forum, you certainly wouldn't know the post was about computers.

I hope it helps anyway. I saw her log in and read it, so maybe she will get it running now.

i can not get to any thing on this acer. i am on some one computer thay will be in about 30min
          But on the a it want do any thing but go to the configuring updates a restart. i might have to get a disk when i get a little money do you no how much is it .
          Mary

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »

So are we, but we do not depend on the people  on the internet to donate stuff to us. A friend gave us nice Compaq desktop with all the discs.

Where are you? And why did you spend your money on a laptop?

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

jkolak

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:07 AM »
            i can not get to any thing on this acer. i am on some one computer thay will be in about 30min
            But on the a it want do any thing but go to the configuring updates a restart. i might have to get a disk when i get a little money do you no how much is it .

You also need to address the questions and instructions you have received. Geek-9pm asked you questions which you did not answer before you reposted the same thing in a new thread.

I posted lengthy instructions for you. Instead of saying "i can not get to any thing on this acer" you need to address point by point what happened when you tried to follow the instructions.

I would not think about buying anything until you have exhausted the free options we are offering you, especially if you are on a low income. If the final diagnosis is bad hardware, then you may be forced to buy something, but at this point you have made an appointment with the doctor, driven to the office, checked in with the receptionist, told the doctor you have a problem, and now ready to go home without listening to the doctor.

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »
              ...but at this point you have made an appointment with the doctor, driven to the office, checked in with the receptionist, told the doctor you have a problem, and now ready to go home without listening to the doctor.

This. 

...but more accurately:
              1) Made appointment with the doctor
              2) Drove to office
              3) Checked in with the receptionist
              4) Told the doctor that she has a problem, but not in plain English.
              5a) Doctor told her what to do, but she saw it as so overwhelming that she ignored it (basically, the Internet meme called "teal deer," "tl;dr," or "too long; didn't read")
              or
              5b) Doctor told her what to do, but English isn't her first language, so she didn't understand.

MARYBOO: Please try to speak as clearly as possible.  Help us help you!  If English isn't your first language, we'll try and work with that.  If it is, then there's no excuse for getting lazy with those trying to help. 

Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

flipflopjd

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
                This. 

...but more accurately:
                1) Made appointment with the doctor
                2) Drove to office
                3) Checked in with the receptionist
                4) Told the doctor that she has a problem, but not in plain English.
                5a) Doctor told her what to do, but she saw it as so overwhelming that she ignored it (basically, the Internet meme called "teal deer," "tl;dr," or "too long; didn't read")
                or
                5b) Doctor told her what to do, but English isn't her first language, so she didn't understand.

MARYBOO: Please try to speak as clearly as possible.  Help us help you!  If English isn't your first language, we'll try and work with that.  If it is, then there's no excuse for getting lazy with those trying to help. 

:-X :-X :rofl:

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
                This is probably not funny to someone in Maryboos situation...if you can't contribute constructively stay away from the Post button.

patio.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "