Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't turn off Windows Search!  (Read 2035 times)

tikatu

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can't turn off Windows Search!
    « on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
    Hey, y'all.

I ran a couple of searches the other day using Windows Search (and the little dog assistant thing). Got the answers I wanted, and Xed out the windows. Later, however, when I went to access folders in My Documents, I double-clicked on the desired folder and, Presto! Up pops Windows Search! It pops up every time I try to open a subfolder under My Documents, and I have to resort to File>Open in order to open the folder (whereas I used to just double click on the folder to open it). I've also noticed that "Search..." is now at the top of the File listing, while "Open" is second.

Is there any way to shut the automatic search off or get "Open" back into the default position? I can't find anything about it in the offline Help files, so I've come here to look for an answer.

Just FYI, I'm running XP Home with SP3.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

tikatu

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Can't turn off Windows Search!
      « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »
      I got an answer on this topic at another website, so you can lock this thread or whatever is needed.

For those who might come after me with the same question, here's the link where I got the answer: