Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: size of Vista Home Basic compared to Win.7 Pro  (Read 2045 times)

andie

size of Vista Home Basic compared to Win.7 Pro
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
I am trying to get my son's laptop to run faster, it has a 97 GB hard drive and a 6 GB D. drive.  C drive has less than 16 GB free.

He is running Vista Home Basic.  I own Win.7 Pro and am legally allowed to use it for 3 computers (I think it is).  Would it help down-clog his laptop if I change his OS?  Very much?  He's got over 10GB of photos on that I'm about to take off but what to do after that I'm not sure.  Thank you to all who read this. I appreciate wonderful people very much, those who help  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: size of Vista Home Basic compared to Win.7 Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:24 AM »
First thing to do is burn all the photos on to DVD .A standard DVD-R you can get about 4.5GB onto on discs. DVD-r is cheap and reliable. But a Avoid the DVD RW.

Do not alter  the second partition. (You already knew that, but I wanted to say that before somebody else.)

Yes, windows 7 is smaller that Vista. But it stores data the same way Vista does. Most of the stuff on the commuter is stuff he put there. -Right?
The difference is size of the Operating system would be a small gain.
My personal recommendation is to not change the OS on a laptop unless you really, really have to do it.

Here is the best option, and other here will back me up on this point.
For modest investment, you can get a much larger hard drive for the laptop that is the same case size, takes about the same power but can hold twice as much data and programs. But you will need the help of a friend with a desktop PC to "clone" the contents of the old drive to the new one.

Later the old drive can go in an external case and be used for "over flow" for the stuff he collects.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
    andie, While i most certainly agree with most of Geek-9pm's suggestions. I would reverse the last one. I would purchase an external usb connectible HDD (they are very inexpensive these days). I have seen 1 TB externals as low as $79.00 U.S. I would not remove or change either of the internals now or later. He should get into the habit of putting his own stored stuff on the external as opposed to the internals.The added advantage is that the items on the external can become portable to other computers. This suggestion along with perhaps a more judicious use (add/remove effort) with all the HDD's could dramatically reduce the amount of storage he is currently using.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
    truenorth, you are right. Why didn't I say that?   :-[