Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with opening my programs  (Read 4420 times)

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

Help with opening my programs
    « on: January 30, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »
    Recently I got the 'Vista Antivirus 2010' scam come up on my computer, I didn't choose to purchase the system.  I went on to a different computer from my own and downloaded Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to a usb, installed it on my own computer and ran the full scan.  Once it had finished, I got it to remove all the infections.  It then said that it couldn't remove some of the infections and told me to restart my computer.  I did that but when it loaded my desktop it was  a completely blank screen.  I did ctrl + alt + delete and restarted my compter again.  This time it loaded normally but the vista antivirus 2010 warnings were still coming up so i did the malware full scan again.  This time it finished saying there were no infections, but because there had been no vista antivirus warnings coming up since the second full scan, i choose to leave it.
    I haven't had any of these warnings since that last scan BUT now when i go to my desktop and try to double click on at shortcuts or if i go to the start menu and choose to click on any of my programs it will come up with this message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropiate permissions to access the item,"
    This message happens to EVERYTHING. Firefox, itunes, paint, windows live messenger etc.  The only way to open them is to right click the program and scroll down to 'start' instead of 'open'.
    The 'start' looks quite dodgey aswell as it has no capital letter as the rest of the options do and to be honest i've never seen it before.  But I may be mistaken with this, i'm not sure.

I have tried searching this topic but have only found ones where they can't open explorer and in my circumstance i cannot open anything.  If there is a topic such as this one, then i am sorry for writing this topic and could you please send me in the right direction.
    I also don't know if im in the right section of the forum either, this is my first time on this website.

Any help with my problem will be greatly appreciated. :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help with opening my programs
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:40:53 AM »
    I suggest you go to the malware section of this forum and follow the instructions in the post at the top of that page.

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:46:33 AM »
      Oh thankyou, So it's a virus that I have then?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:49:51 AM »
      Well, from your first post it sounds as though you may not have completely rid your system of the malware you had. One way or the other, let's make sure. Once we know for certain that your system is "clean" we can move forward to address any other issues that may remain.

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
        Well using the AVG anti-virus check and the anti-malware check they both say that there are no infections on my computer.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:19 AM »
        This time it loaded normally but the vista antivirus 2010 warnings were still coming up so i did the malware full scan again.  This time it finished saying there were no infections, but because there had been no vista antivirus warnings coming up since the second full scan, i choose to leave it.
        It's because of this that I suggested what I did. There is no harm in making sure - but it's up to you.

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
          Urgh, I don't know what I've done now but when i click on the programs it comes up with 'open with' and then it has recommended programs which includes itunes and firefox. If i click on firefox it will open firefox, same if i click on itunes it will open itunes.
          I just want it to open whatever program i click on without all this hassle, it's really frustrating me.  I'm sorry if what i'm asking sounds really stupid and simple to fix but my brother used to deal with all my computer problems but he's now moved country.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:25:15 AM »
          Instead of complaining, go do what I suggested.

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
            okay, well I assume you mean the "Read this before requesting Malware removal help" Thread.

"AVG Users Only: If you still use AVG 7.5 you should update to the new AVG 9.0 now before continuing. AVG 7.5 is no longer supported by Grisoft so your PC is at risk! AVG 7.5 Free - Support ends 02/28/2009"

I did this, I downloaded the AVG 9.0.  BUT as i said before I CANNOT OPEN PROGRAMS there fore it will not let me open the download.
            Because I have AVG 8.5 I thought i would be okay, so i moved on.

"Step 2: House Cleaning

Download CCleaner Slim and save it to your Desktop"

AGAIN: IT will not let me open anything, It comes up with a warning saying Application not found.

I have no idea what I am doing right now, I do not understand any of these programs or what they are doing. 

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
            I suggest you start posting your problem(s) with following those instructions in the malware forum and someone there will help you.

Geodudee

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »
              thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »
              Yep. Good luck.