Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wifi wont connect anymore  (Read 2269 times)

mateba

wifi wont connect anymore
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:22:56 PM »
I use a compaq presario f700. I used to be able to connect to my fathers wifi router but now it won't let me. The message I get is this.

Windows tried to repair but a problem still exist.

I used another laptop and it connected fine. I am still able to connect to my mothers router but not this one.  What steps should I take to fix this?

t_blake07

Apprentice
    Re: wifi wont connect anymore
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
    Since you used to be able to connect, and now you can't all of a sudden, I would make sure the firmware is up to date on the router. Just go to the manufacturer's website and look for your product's support. Try this and let us know what happens.

t_blake07

Apprentice
      « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
      I just noticed you said that another laptop worked with your father's router. I'd still do the firmware upgrade.

If you do that and still nothing, then you could try to update the driver's for your network card on your laptop. It's a start. Let us know how it goes.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:55:21 AM »
      If he used to be able to connect then the firmware version of the router has nothing to do with it. I would NOT update the router firmware unless absolutely necessary - I've seen several routers become unusable after firmware "upgrades".

You said you used to be able to connect - what is different between the last time you connected and the first time you couldn't (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

t_blake07

Apprentice
        « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »
        If he used to be able to connect then the firmware version of the router has nothing to do with it. I would NOT update the router firmware unless absolutely necessary - I've seen several routers become unusable after firmware "upgrades".

It could have everything to do with it. (If he/she wasn't able to connect using another laptop) Which I already corrected myself about in the above reply. I don't know how many times i've seen people ask the exact same question, and then update their router's firmware, and problem solved. I understand what you mean about the firmware update, but the whole point of firmware updates is to keep the router's functionality up to date, and to keep it running properly. You shouldn't avoid the update just because some people have had bad experiences with them. They're saying that windows gives them the error. So maybe they should try to update the drivers on the laptop. They could always roll back if they need too.